Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2018/10/27 00:53:25 UTC

Draft email to member list to try and recruit some new mentors

Hi,

I’m planning an sending an email to members@ to try and help get a few more mentors on board.

Draft email below. Any suggestion of what to add? More reason on why someone would want to be a mentor would be helpful.

--------------------------
Hi,

The incubator PMC needs you!

We have a number of existing podlings [1] and several new podlings starting up at the IPMC than need mentors.

As an ASF member all you need to do to become part of the incubator PMC  is to ask. [2]

Some reasons you may want to become a mentor:
- Share your experience and knowledge.
- Learn more about the Apache Way and how different projects operate within that.
- Be actively involved to helping a project become a top level project.
- Help build a community around a project
- Polish you skills on reviewing releases.

And, lets be honest, it looks good on a resume :-)

If you would like to be a mentor please contact us.

Thanks,
Justin
(V.P. Incubator)

1. Airflow, Annotator, Crail, Daffodil, Edgent, Gearpump, Hivemail, Milagro, Myriad, ODF toolkit, Omid, Openwhisk, Pony mail, Quickstep, Rya, S2Graph, Samoa, Sdap, Senssoft, Spot, Tamaya, Tephra, Unomi, Warble and Weex
2. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/pmc.html#joining_the_ipmc
---------------

Here's are the list of podling project that currently have less than 3 mentors and may need some help:
Airflow, Annotator, Crail, Daffodil, Edgent, Gearpump, Hivemail, Milagro, Myriad, ODF toolkit, Omid, Openwhisk, Pony mail, Quickstep, Rya, S2Graph, Samoa, Sdap, Senssoft, Spot, Tamaya, Tephra, Unomi, Warble, Weex

If someone wants to have a go at making Whimsey generate the above list so we can point potential mentors at it that would be a great help.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Draft email to member list to try and recruit some new mentors

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Good goal to try to get more mentors.

Considering that some of the members may be unaware of the requirements with regard to mentorship, I would suggest adding a (short) list of expectations for mentors. The way I think of it, once established, it's a commitment of attention more than a commitment of time. That is, mentors need to be aware of what is going on, but need not spend a large amount of time (unless there is a release coming out).

The formal responsibilities are documented https://incubator.apache.org/policy/roles_and_responsibilities.html#responsibilities_toward_podling_community <https://incubator.apache.org/policy/roles_and_responsibilities.html#responsibilities_toward_podling_community> but might not be indicative of the amount of effort needed.

That said, here is my suggested list of expectations once the podling is established:
subscribe to private, dev, and commits lists
scan lists looking for anomalies (dev discussions on private list, bad behavior, etc.)
encourage PPMC members to look for new committers
review/vote on proposed releases
review/approve podling board reports

I'll be the first to say that this is just based on my experience and might not match others' expectations. But I'd hate to scare away potential mentors because they think being a mentor is a huge time sink.

Best,

Craig

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 5:53 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m planning an sending an email to members@ to try and help get a few more mentors on board.
>

> Draft email below. Any suggestion of what to add? More reason on why someone would want to be a mentor would be helpful.
>
> --------------------------
> Hi,
>
> The incubator PMC needs you!
>
> We have a number of existing podlings [1] and several new podlings starting up at the IPMC than need mentors.
>
> As an ASF member all you need to do to become part of the incubator PMC  is to ask. [2]
>
> Some reasons you may want to become a mentor:
> - Share your experience and knowledge.
> - Learn more about the Apache Way and how different projects operate within that.
> - Be actively involved to helping a project become a top level project.
> - Help build a community around a project
> - Polish you skills on reviewing releases.
>
> And, lets be honest, it looks good on a resume :-)
>
> If you would like to be a mentor please contact us.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
> (V.P. Incubator)
>
> 1. Airflow, Annotator, Crail, Daffodil, Edgent, Gearpump, Hivemail, Milagro, Myriad, ODF toolkit, Omid, Openwhisk, Pony mail, Quickstep, Rya, S2Graph, Samoa, Sdap, Senssoft, Spot, Tamaya, Tephra, Unomi, Warble and Weex
> 2. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/pmc.html#joining_the_ipmc
> ---------------
>
> Here's are the list of podling project that currently have less than 3 mentors and may need some help:
> Airflow, Annotator, Crail, Daffodil, Edgent, Gearpump, Hivemail, Milagro, Myriad, ODF toolkit, Omid, Openwhisk, Pony mail, Quickstep, Rya, S2Graph, Samoa, Sdap, Senssoft, Spot, Tamaya, Tephra, Unomi, Warble, Weex
>
> If someone wants to have a go at making Whimsey generate the above list so we can point potential mentors at it that would be a great help.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Draft email to member list to try and recruit some new mentors

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
+1.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

PRIVATE: Draft email to member list to try and recruit some new mentors

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

> [...]

> 2. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/pmc.html#joining_the_ipmc
> ---------------
>
> Here's are the list of podling project that currently have less than 3 mentors and may need some help:
> Airflow, Annotator, Crail, Daffodil, Edgent, Gearpump, Hivemail, Milagro, Myriad, ODF toolkit, Omid, Openwhisk, Pony mail, Quickstep, Rya, S2Graph, Samoa, Sdap, Senssoft, Spot, Tamaya, Tephra, Unomi, Warble, Weex
>
> If someone wants to have a go at making Whimsey generate the above list so we can point potential mentors at it that would be a great help.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Draft email to member list to try and recruit some new mentors

Posted by ju...@classsoftware.com.
Hi,

And sent, looking forward to some responses.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I am not a member. PMC of Hadoop. Still I would like to help here if any possible.

Anyone can help out with mentoring duties and do the same job, it’s just not official (whatever that means) unless you are an IPMC member. So if you want to do it just go and do it.

Alternatively you could help out out at the incubator (review a few releases, answer a few questions, review or contribute to the podling report) and get voted in as a IPMC member and then be able to official mentor project. (This is an uncommon path, but that’s what I did.)

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I am not a member. PMC of Hadoop.
Still I would like to help here if any possible.

Please do let me know.

-Vinay

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

[...]

1. Airflow, Annotator, Crail, Daffodil, Edgent, Hivemail, Milagro, Myriad, ODF toolkit, Omid, Openwhisk, Pony mail, Quickstep, Rya, S2Graph, Samoa, Sdap, Senssoft, Spot, Tamaya, Tephra, Unomi, Warble and Weex
2. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/pmc.html#joining_the_ipmc
3. https://incubator.apache.org/policy/roles_and_responsibilities.html#responsibilities_toward_podling_community

Thanks,
Justin