Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2016/10/27 07:18:34 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.2 (RC1)

Greetings from Spark Summit Europe at Brussels.

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
2.0.2. The vote is open until Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 00:30 PDT and passes if
a majority of at least 3+1 PMC votes are cast.

The tag to be voted on is v2.0.2-rc1
(1c2908eeb8890fdc91413a3f5bad2bb3d114db6c)

This release candidate resolves 75 issues:
https://s.apache.org/spark-2.0.2-jira

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.0.2-rc1-bin/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1208/

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.0.2-rc1-docs/

Q: How can I help test this release?
A: If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an
existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions from 2.0.1.

Q: What justifies a -1 vote for this release?
A: This is a maintenance release in the 2.0.x series. Bugs already present
in 2.0.1, missing features, or bugs related to new features will not
necessarily block this release.

Q: What fix version should I use for patches merging into branch-2.0 from
now on?
A: Please mark the fix version as 2.0.3, rather than 2.0.2. If a new RC
(i.e. RC2) is cut, I will change the fix version of those patches to 2.0.2.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.2 (RC1)

Posted by Jagadeesan As <as...@us.ibm.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Ubuntu 14.04.2/openjdk  "1.8.0_72"
(-Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Psparkr -Pkinesis-asl -Phive-thriftserver)

Cheers,
Jagadeesan A S

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
+1 non binding

compiled and unit tested in-house libraries against 2.0.2-rc1 successfully

was able to build, deploy and launch on cdh 5.7 yarn cluster

on a side note... these artifacts on staging repo having version 2.0.2
instead of 2.0.2-rc1 makes it somewhat dangerous to test against it in
existing project. i can add a sbt resolver for staging repo and change my
spark version to 2.0.2, but now it starts downloading and caching these
artifacts as version 2.0.2 which means i am now hunting down local cache
locations afterwards like ~/.ivy2/cache to make sure i wipe them or run the
risk of in the future compiling against the rc instead of the actual
release by accident. not sure if i should be doing something different?

Posted by Denny Lee <de...@gmail.com>.
Oh, I forgot to note that when downloading and running against the Spark
2.0.2 without Hadoop binaries, I got a JNI error due to an exception with
org / slf4j / logger  (i.e. org.slf4j.Logger class is not found).

Posted by vijoshi <vi...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi,

Have encountered an issue with History Server in 2.0 - and updated
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-16808 with a comment detailing
the problem. This is a regression in 2.0 from 1.6, so this issue exists
since 2.0.1. Encountered this very recently when we evaluated moving to 2.0
from 1.6. But the issue is bad enough to virtually make it not possible to
adopt 2.0.x where spark history server runs behind a proxy.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.2 (RC1)

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by "Shixiong(Ryan) Zhu" <sh...@databricks.com>.
-1.

Posted by Weiqing Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Denny Lee <de...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Ricardo Almeida <ri...@actnowib.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
+1 non-binding.

Built and tested CentOS 6.6 / OpenJDK 1.8.0_111.

Cheers,
Dongjoon.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.2 (RC1)

Posted by Kousuke Saruta <sa...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>.
+1

- Kousuke

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Davies Liu <da...@databricks.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.
+1

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
+1 from me. All the sigs and licenses and hashes check out. It builds and
passes tests with -Phadoop-2.7 -Pyarn -Phive -Phive-thriftserver on Ubuntu
16 + Java 8.

Here are the open issues for 2.0.2 BTW. No blockers, but some marked
Critical FYI. Just making sure nobody really meant for one of these to
definitely be in 2.0.2.

SPARK-14387 Enable Hive-1.x ORC compatibility with
spark.sql.hive.convertMetastoreOrc
SPARK-17822 JVMObjectTracker.objMap may leak JVM objects
SPARK-17823 Make JVMObjectTracker.objMap thread-safe
SPARK-17957 Calling outer join and na.fill(0) and then inner join will miss
rows
SPARK-17972 Query planning slows down dramatically for large query plans
even when sub-trees are cached
SPARK-17981 Incorrectly Set Nullability to False in FilterExec
SPARK-17982 Spark 2.0.0  CREATE VIEW statement fails ::
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to analyze the canonicalized SQL. It is
possible there is a bug in Spark.

Posted by Herman van Hövell tot Westerflier <hv...@databricks.com>.
+1

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> wrote:

> Greetings from Spark Summit Europe at Brussels.
>
> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
> 2.0.2. The vote is open until Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 00:30 PDT and passes if
> a majority of at least 3+1 PMC votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.0.2
>

> The tag to be voted on is v2.0.2-rc1 (1c2908eeb8890fdc91413a3f5bad2b
> b3d114db6c)
>
> This release candidate resolves 75 issues: https://s.apache.org/spark-2.
> 0.2-jira

> http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.0.2-rc1-bin/

> https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1208/

> http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.0.2-rc1-docs/
>

> Q: How can I help test this release?
> A: If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an
> existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions from 2.0.1.
>
> Q: What justifies a -1 vote for this release?
> A: This is a maintenance release in the 2.0.x series. Bugs already present
> in 2.0.1, missing features, or bugs related to new features will not
> necessarily block this release.
>
> Q: What fix version should I use for patches merging into branch-2.0 from
> now on?
> A: Please mark the fix version as 2.0.3, rather than 2.0.2. If a new RC
> (i.e. RC2) is cut, I will change the fix version of those patches to 2.0.2.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975