Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/04 10:43:07 UTC

Help string mistake?

Is this string
<https://translate.apache.org/pt/aoo40help/translate/helpcontent2/source/text/sbasic/shared.po#unit=14957164>
correct? I think it should be 'STR' instead of 'ASC'

Pedro.

Re: Help string mistake?

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
> It is surely ASC. The whole text is
>
> Related Topics
> ASC
>
> where ASC is a link. It is located at the bottom of the description of
> the CHR function.
>
> The CHR functions gets an integer value as input and returns the
> corresponding character according ASCII code. The ASC function does it
> the other way round. ASC takes a character as input and returns the
> integer number according ASCII code.
>
> The STR function does a very different thing. It converts a number
> like 123.456 to a string 123.456.
OK, thank you.
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Help string mistake?

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Andrea,

Andrea Pescetti schrieb:
> Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
>> Is this string
>> <https://translate.apache.org/pt/aoo40help/translate/helpcontent2/source/text/sbasic/shared.po#unit=14957164>
>>
>> correct? I think it should be 'STR' instead of 'ASC'
>
> Do you mean it should be "ASC"? It's ASC in English, ASC in Italian, STR
> in Portuguese. It should be the same in all languages, so for sure
> something must be fixed.
>
> Do you have any clues, based on usage, on whether this should be "ASC"
> everywhere or be "STR" everywhere? I haven't looked at the real usage.

It is surely ASC. The whole text is

Related Topics
ASC

where ASC is a link. It is located at the bottom of the description of
the CHR function.

The CHR functions gets an integer value as input and returns the
corresponding character according ASCII code. The ASC function does it
the other way round. ASC takes a character as input and returns the
integer number according ASCII code.

The STR function does a very different thing. It converts a number like
123.456 to a string 123.456.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Help string mistake?

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Em 04-07-2014 12:09, Andrea Pescetti escreveu:
> Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
>> Is this string
>> <https://translate.apache.org/pt/aoo40help/translate/helpcontent2/source/text/sbasic/shared.po#unit=14957164>
>>
>> correct? I think it should be 'STR' instead of 'ASC'
>
> Do you mean it should be "ASC"? It's ASC in English, ASC in Italian,
> STR in Portuguese. It should be the same in all languages, so for sure
> something must be fixed.
I changed it to 'STR' today based on the previous lines and the
subsequent text. The sequence seems to be that: acronym, 'function X?, etc.
I noticed it's 'ASC' in Italian, Spanish and French. I wonder if the
English string is not a mistake!? That's all.
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Help string mistake?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> Is this string
> <https://translate.apache.org/pt/aoo40help/translate/helpcontent2/source/text/sbasic/shared.po#unit=14957164>
> correct? I think it should be 'STR' instead of 'ASC'

Do you mean it should be "ASC"? It's ASC in English, ASC in Italian, STR
in Portuguese. It should be the same in all languages, so for sure
something must be fixed.

Do you have any clues, based on usage, on whether this should be "ASC"
everywhere or be "STR" everywhere? I haven't looked at the real usage.

Regards,
   Andrea.