Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Sonnek, Ryan" <Ry...@bpc.com> on 2003/06/12 21:44:39 UTC

howto: cactify a project?

I recently 'mavenized' my project, breaking it up into several subprojects
(common, ejb, war, ear).  Now, I'm trying to unit test my EJB's and web
projects, but I'm having extreme difficulty getting it working.  How should
cactus tests be run?  Should there be src/test-cactus for every subproject
that needs testing?  Does each subproject need to be deployed as a war file
for cactus to test them correctly?

I have used cactus extensively in my old build system, but since I've moved
to maven (quite happily I might add), I have yet to get junit and cactus
tests back into my project development.

Ryan

RE: howto: cactify a project?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Ryan,

Yes

> Does each subproject need to be deployed as a war
> file
> for cactus to test them correctly?

The Maven plugin for Cactus currently only supports unit testing of
Servlets/Filters/Taglibs.

You just need to type "maven cactus" and it will nicely and
automatically package the code in a war, deploy it, start the container,
run the tests, stop the container.

Support for EAR packaging/deployment is not yet available in the Maven
plugin for Cactus. It's really easy to do with the new <cactus> task (in
Cactus 1.5), but I haven't had the time to do it yet. An example is
available at:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/junitbook/junitbook/ejb/i
ntegration/

Patches are welcome :-)

> I have used cactus extensively in my old build system, but since I've
> moved
> to maven (quite happily I might add), I have yet to get junit and
cactus
> tests back into my project development.

You can still use your old way of doing things for Cactus if you want,
by putting your Ant scripts in your maven.xml file.

However, my goal is to support all use cases in the Cactus plugin...
eventually...

Thanks
-Vincent