Posted to dev@ripple.apache.org by Marvin <no...@apache.org> on 2014/10/06 16:15:04 UTC

Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc])

Dear podling,

This email was sent by an automated system on behalf of the Apache Incubator PMC.
It is an initial reminder to give you plenty of time to prepare your quarterly
board report.

The board meeting is scheduled for Wed, 15 October 2014, 10:30 am PST. The report
for your podling will form a part of the Incubator PMC report. The Incubator PMC
requires your report to be submitted 2 weeks before the board meeting, to allow
sufficient time for review and submission (Wed, Oct 1st).

Please submit your report with sufficient time to allow the incubator PMC, and
subsequently board members to review and digest. Again, the very latest you
should submit your report is 2 weeks prior to the board meeting.

Thanks,

The Apache Incubator PMC

Submitting your Report
----------------------

Your report should contain the following:

 * Your project name
 * A brief description of your project, which assumes no knowledge of the project
   or necessarily of its field
 * A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
   graduation.
 * Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of
 * How has the community developed since the last report
 * How has the project developed since the last report.

This should be appended to the Incubator Wiki page at:

  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/October2014

Note: This is manually populated. You may need to wait a little before this page
      is created from a template.

Mentors
-------
Mentors should review reports for their project(s) and sign them off on the
Incubator wiki page. Signing off reports shows that you are following the
project - projects that are not signed may raise alarms for the Incubator PMC.

Incubator PMC

RE: Ripple retirement? (Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc]))

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
If IP is not managed correctly then potential users can't use the code. If they can't use the code they can't contribute. Moving to GitHub because it allows the IP management processes to be thrown away does not change this.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the project can't move, I'm just saying that stripping away governance is not away to build community.  If the current governance approach isn't working the. Fix it. Moving the code doesn't do that.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
The project is AL 2.0 licensed so to my understanding the Github project
would be a "fork" of the original Ripple.
The owners of the fork would "own" it then.

Please note that to my knowledge a few things are not sorted out license
wise, in example some images. Like we would have needed to sort this out
here, it would be wise to sort it out on GitHub as well.

There are some cases when the name could be taken to GitHub. Please note
this requires discussion with the trademark folks.
As there is almost no community so far, it might be difficult to argue
if a single person would be able to get the name.
However, I defer you to the trademarks@apache list if any questions in
that direction.

Posted by JR <jr...@gmail.com>.
I have to say I've stopped using Ripple in favor of Chrome's built in
emulation tools.

--
Jonathan

RE: Ripple retirement? (Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc]))

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
I think there is a little confusion here. The browser platform bring discussed below is part of Cordova. There is nothing related to it happening behind closed doors (at least not that I am aware of).

As to the other points below, I agree.

I've discussed this thread in my day job role (I work with Parshu). We have decided we would like Ripple to remain in the incubator as we have committed resources to work on it. We recognize that project maintenance and management is lacking right now.

Parashu (who is a Cordova committer) has the technical need for Ripple . Since I championed Ripple, I've offered to assist Parashu in keep Ripple moving from a maintenance perspective.

To be clear, this is not likely to be a significant development effort. There is every chance that in six months Ripple is no longer needed for Cordova users like us (see Browser platform work). However, today we consider it necessary, at least for us and would like to do the necessary maintenance work here at the ASF.

Christian, thank you for your attention as a mentor. Let's see where we are in a couple of reporting cycles, if things have not progressed from where we are today then it will be time to retire the project.

Ross

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <pa...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <pa...@microsoft.com>.

--
Brent Lintner

RE: Ripple retirement? (Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc]))

--
Brent Lintner

Re: Ripple retirement? (Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Brent Lintner <br...@gmail.com>.

--
Brent Lintner

Re: Ripple retirement? (Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Oct 2014 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <cg...@grobmeier.de>.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
Would would "own" the project?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

we need to report soon, and I have made a few observations.

We are actually not active in any kind. This is very sad, because most
of us here
want Ripple to survive, but it's the truth.

We don't have commit activity. Only two of us where discussing a new
committer
to join, without managing to finally start the vote (reminder: this is a
dev list, new
committers are discussed on the private list).
Usually I have to push the report further to the Ripple lists and its
hard to get a report
done any time.

I was wondering if we have a serious chance to change this.

Yes, we discussed to join Cordova as subproject. But it won't help if
there are no
volunteers from that place taking over.

The question is, should we cancel our incubation here. What would it
mean?

 - Ripples trademark would remain at the ASF (there were excpetions)
 - The source code is read only
 - Mailinglists etc are closed

However it would also mean we make an update to our webpage and tell
people
that this project has moved to GitHub. I am not sure if it would survive
there as well,
but today people love to work with GitHub and that means there are
chances.

Personally I think if nobody of you comes up with either a great idea to
attract new people
or says he can dedicate a certain amount of time, this project is better
being moved to
GitHub. We are not speaking about to "kill" a running project, because I
don't see any
sign of life so far. And this is what I consider "dead" already.

What are your thoughts?

Kind regards,

Christian

--