Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Frank Moyer <mo...@hotmail.com> on 2002/08/25 17:52:30 UTC

Problems with location of axis.jar

I am running Tomcat 4.0.3, java 1.4.0, and axis beta 3.  I have copied all
the necessary files into CATALINA_HOME/common/lib directory.  When I bring
up the axis administration page, I get the following exception:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
	at
org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.ArraySerializerFactory.class$(ArraySerializerFactory.java:77)
	at
org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.ArraySerializerFactory.(ArraySerializerFactory.java:79)

When I remove axis.jar from CATALINA_HOME/common/lib, axis works fine.  I am
able to run web services from the command line without any problems.  But
then when I try to run an web application through Tomcat, I get a
NoClassDefFound exception on Deserializer.  I expect that the reason I am
getting this exception is because axis.jar is not copied into the
CATALINA_HOME/common/lib directory.  But as soon as I copy it in, I will get
the first exception.

So, I am right now unable to get axis working together with a web
application.

Frank

Re: Problems with location of axis.jar

Posted by Raman Chikkamagalur <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hi ,
  I don't know whether I understand your problem. As
far as I know you need to copy axis libs into webapps
directory (not CATALINA_HOME).
  On my machine it looks like this.
CATALINA_HOME>webapps>axis>Web-inf>lib>

The following link is a good guide for installation of
axis on Tomcat.
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2002/jw-0125-axis.html

Regards,
Raman.

http://finance.yahoo.com

RE: Problems with location of axis.jar

Posted by "Chris K. Wensel" <ch...@wensel.net>.
not sure if this is the same problem.

but i have found it useful to break the axis jar into two pieces, one for
the Axis servlet classes, and one with everything else. the axis servlet jar
goes into the web-inf/lib dir.

your mileage may vary...

ckw