Posted to dev@doris.apache.org by 924060929 <92...@qq.com.INVALID> on 2022/02/19 04:20:26 UTC

The new scalable regression testing framework(#8125)

In the past, developer of Apache Doris send pull request and wait for regression testing, which is execute in Baidu internally.
There are some problem:
1. test case is not shared to developer. so we can not quickly accumulate&nbsp;&nbsp;test case to ensure the stable of Apache Doris
2. waiting too long. if test failed, developer must change code and wait again

So, I implement a scalable regression testing framework(in pull request&nbsp;#8125).
Developer can run regression testing in local enviroment, and contribute&nbsp;more test case.

In order to readable, writeable, normalization and scalable, I use groovy to implement a DSL which named Action, developer can use Action to write various test case, for example
1. sql action can execute a sql
2. qt action can execute sql and compare result to tsv file
3. stream load action can load data to doris
4. explain action can check query plan

welcome to contribute test case, improvement test framework, and update document.

Re: The new scalable regression testing framework(#8125)

Posted by Shuo Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Great job, man!

ling miao <li...@apache.org> 于2022年2月21日周一 11:25写道:

Re:Re: Re: The new scalable regression testing framework(#8125)

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
>We need the contributor to sign the iCLA when submitting no trivial patch.

>Otherwise, we cannot merge the patch into the main branch.

Most of the Apache project contribution guidelines that we have consulted before do not require PR contributors to sign iCLA,

but only committers to sign iCLA before being granted commit privileges.

However, the guidance on the Apache website does recommend that contributors also sign the iCLA to avoid potential legal risks.

We will evaluate this issue more rigorously in our future code merge process and try to push contributors to sign iCLA for non-trivial code contributions.

> if the contributor do the contribution in his

> daily work, we need to do the IP clearance with the SGA or CCLA.

OK, I see.

And Thanks to Willem for the reminder.!

--

此致!Best Regards
陈明雨 Mingyu Chen

Email:
chenmingyu@apache.org

在 2022-02-22 15:13:40,"Willem Jiang" <wi...@gmail.com> 写道:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
Hi Willem:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ling miao <li...@apache.org>.
> Do you have any plan on opening source the P0 test set? It should be a
very
good start for community to build ci/cd pipeline.

Sure, I will prepare to open source P0 test after our test framework finish
~

Ling Miao

1 0 <da...@gmail.com> 于2022年3月2日周三 09:58写道:

Posted by 1 0 <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi ling,

Posted by ling miao <li...@apache.org>.

回复: The new scalable regression testing framework(#8125)

Posted by 924060929 <92...@qq.com.INVALID>.

Posted by 1 0 <da...@gmail.com>.
It's a great job. I have a suggestion on writing a case more easily.  We
should accept cases in sql and check the result by comparing the content of
stdout and stderr. This way, anyone can contribute a case easily, for
example I just execute sql and put output. The cases can also be used
easily by other tests like fuzzy.

Can the framework run parallely and randomly? We need to run functional and
regression tests parallely and randomly to discover more problems.

Thanks,
Dataroaring.

Re:The new scalable regression testing framework(#8125)

Posted by 陈明雨 <mo...@163.com>.
That is a GREATE job!

We have discussed privately some details about this testing framework, including some POC demos. I think it is a very good framework.
This framework is currently a standalone part, so I'll go ahead and merge this PR in so that people can do quick iterations on it.

TODO:
1. English document
2. Contribution Guide: How to add test

--