Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Dennis Dam <d....@hippo.nl> on 2007/05/30 00:29:04 UTC

Findbugs : list of warnings

Hi all,

The other day I found a case in a particular class where an argument for
a constructor was actually not used. I found that was really confusing.
So I thought: is there not a way to find these kinds of "bugs"
automatically?
That's how I stumbled upon an open source (LGPL, I think) eclipse plugin
which .. finds bugs for you! It's called 'findbugs'
(http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/). Installation instructions are at
http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/manual/eclipse.html.

It works like this:
- select project
- select "find bugs"

.. and off you go, it finds bugs. In the case of jetspeed it found 566
bugs to be exact, which it categorizes in degrees of seriousness. 73 are
flagged as "high prio ". I attached these problems in a logfile attached
to this mail. I would highly recommend installing that plugin from what
I've seen so far.

The nastiest bugs I found:

- nullpointer dereference
- possible infinite loop
- comparing strings with the == operator

These three are in the logfile.

If anyone knows better plugins, or has suggestions I'm glad to hear
about it.

regards,

Dennis Dam

Re: Findbugs : list of warnings

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On May 29, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Dennis Dam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The other day I found a case in a particular class where an
> argument for a constructor was actually not used. I found that was
> really confusing. So I thought: is there not a way to find these
> kinds of "bugs" automatically?
> That's how I stumbled upon an open source (LGPL, I think) eclipse
> plugin which .. finds bugs for you! It's called 'findbugs' (http://
> findbugs.sourceforge.net/). Installation instructions are at http://
> findbugs.sourceforge.net/manual/eclipse.html.
>
> It works like this:
> - select project
> - select "find bugs"
>
> .. and off you go, it finds bugs. In the case of jetspeed it found
> 566 bugs to be exact, which it categorizes in degrees of
> seriousness. 73 are flagged as "high prio ". I attached these
> problems in a logfile attached to this mail. I would highly
> recommend installing that plugin from what I've seen so far.
>
> The nastiest bugs I found:
>
> - nullpointer dereference
> - possible infinite loop
> - comparing strings with the == operator
>

> These three are in the logfile.

I checked some of these randomly just now, and they are valid reports
Created a new JIRA issue to apply these patches, thanks

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-727