Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org> on 2003/01/21 20:57:07 UTC

"threads" vs "users"

Does anyone else think it would make sense to universally replace "thread" with
"user" in the JMeter GUI?  Ie, instead of "ThreadGroup", it'd be "UserGroup".
Instead of "Number of Threads", it'd be "Number of Users"?  It would be easy to do
simply by replacing all instances of "thread" in the message resource file.

--
Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org

Re: "threads" vs "users"

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
It may be that we want to look at each naming instance independently.  For instance, maybe
the current 'ThreadGroup' could be renamed 'Session Definition' (or whatever), but 'number of
threads' would be renamed 'number of users'.  In which case, I might be inclined to name the
'ThreadGroup' as 'Test Case', since that more accurately captures the fact that a ThreadGroup
defines a test case.

Maybe we have more to discuss about this :-)  And maybe it's time for a wiki page to capture
all the various ideas.

-Mike

On 23 Jan 2003 at 8:50, Scott Eade wrote:

> On 23/01/2003 5:57 AM, "Oliver Rossmueller" <or...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Jordi Salvat i Alabart wrote:
> >
> >> Many people confuse both concepts. They launch 100 threads requesting
> >> pages with 1-second pauses, bringing their server to its knees, and
> >> state that "the system can't withstand 100 users!".
> >>
> >> Although, given they're confused anyway, it wouldn't make much harm :-)
> >>
> >> Anyone has a better idea? LoserGroup and Number of Losers?
> >
> > I'm not sure it is less confusing but what about 'Session'?
> >
> > Oliver
> >

> >> Salut,
> >>
> >> Jordi.
> I think Jordi makes a good point.  I tend to agree with Oliver that
> "Session" may be the better way to go.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott
> --
> Scott Eade
> Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.
> http://www.backstagetech.com.au
> .Mac Chat/AIM: seade at mac dot com

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org
Yahoo IM: mstover_ya
ICQ: 152975688
AIM: mstover777

Re: "threads" vs "users"

Posted by Bruno Dillenseger <br...@rd.francetelecom.com>.
user or thread group ? session ?

As a programmer, I immediately understand what thread group means, but I must confess that I always rename as something like "users" or "service subscribers" in my test plans. "session" seems very abstract to me, unless you specify what kind of session it is, e.g. "load session" or "meter session".

What about something like "load injectors" or "traffic generators" or "load units" ?

-- Bruno.

Oliver Rossmueller wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Jordi Salvat i Alabart wrote:
>

>>Many people confuse both concepts. They launch 100 threads requesting
>>pages with 1-second pauses, bringing their server to its knees, and
>>state that "the system can't withstand 100 users!".
>>
>>Although, given they're confused anyway, it wouldn't make much harm :-)
>>
>>Anyone has a better idea? LoserGroup and Number of Losers?
>>

> I'm not sure it is less confusing but what about 'Session'?

[...]

Re: "threads" vs "users"

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

Re: "threads" vs "users"

Posted by Oliver Rossmueller <or...@apache.org>.

Re: "threads" vs "users"

Posted by Jordi Salvat i Alabart <js...@atg.com>.

AW: "threads" vs "users"

Posted by Wolfram Rittmeyer <w....@proplant.de>.
I highly agree. This is much more intuitive.

Greetings,

Wolfram

Re: "threads" vs "users"

Posted by Drew Gulino <dr...@yahoo.com>.
Absolutely a good idea.  I don't think there needs to
be a one to one relation between implementation and
presentation, so renaming the classes along with the
gui is optional.