Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Mark T. Dame" <md...@mfm.com> on 2000/12/12 18:10:57 UTC

Problems with Apache::ASP, SSI/Filter, and Redirects

We have a strange problem using Redirects with Apache::ASP 2.03.

With this in the .htaccess file:

# .asp files for Session state enabled
<Files ~ (\.asp)>
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlHandler Apache::ASP
        PerlSetVar CookiePath  /
        PerlSetVar Global  /path/to/asp/directory
        PerlSetVar StateDir /path/to/state/directory
</Files>

the following works correctly:

	$Response->Redirect("/index.html");

However, if we change the .htaccess file to set up ASP to handle SSI:

# .asp files for Session state enabled
<Files ~ (\.asp)>
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlHandler Apache::ASP Apache::SSI
        PerlSetVar Filter On
        PerlSetVar CookiePath  /
        PerlSetVar Global  /path/to/asp/directory
        PerlSetVar StateDir /path/to/state/directory
</Files>

it doesn't work.

Here is the result from each:

(with first .htaccess file)
% telnet test.site.com 80
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to test.site.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
get /test.asp HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:03:13 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_perl/1.24_01 mod_ssl/2.7.1
OpenSSL/0.9.5a
Set-Cookie: session-id=6f995b76dccf9e0a96533aa2aacd3b60; path=/
Location: /index.html
Cache-Control: private
Connection: close

Connection closed by foreign host.

(with second .htaccess file)
% telnet test.site.com 80
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to test.site.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
get /test.asp HTTP/1.0

Connection closed by foreign host.

We have Apache::Filter version 1.011 and Apache::SSI version 2.13.

Any ideas?

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame:  mailto:mdame@mfm.com
## WWW:  http://www.mfm.com/~mdame/

Re: Problems with Apache::ASP, SSI/Filter, and Redirects

Posted by "Mark T. Dame" <md...@mfm.com>.
"Mark T. Dame" wrote:

> Joshua Chamas wrote:
> >
> > Your exact config worked for me, I have the latest installed
> > of everything ( 2.07 is latest ASP ) and I got:
>
> CPAN only has 2.03...

OK, I found and installed 2.07 and I get the same results...

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame:  mailto:mdame@mfm.com
## WWW:  http://www.mfm.com/~mdame/
## MFM Communication Software:  http://www.mfm.com/
"The opposed thumb is one of the defining characteristics of our
 species, and mine are strongly opposed to working pointing devices."
      -- Bill Machrone, PC Magazine, Sep. 28, 1993, discussing
              miniature trackballs

Re: Problems with Apache::ASP, SSI/Filter, and Redirects

Posted by "Mark T. Dame" <md...@mfm.com>.
Joshua Chamas wrote:

> Your exact config worked for me, I have the latest installed
> of everything ( 2.07 is latest ASP ) and I got:

CPAN only has 2.03...

> I would check the error_log,

The error log didn't give anything (except the "need AuthName" warning).

> and double check that you have
> EVERYTHING built for mod_perl failing there being anything
> in the error_log.

I triple checked it.  In fact, I did a make distclean and rebuilt
Apache/mod_perl just to make sure.  I get the same results.

-m

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
"Mark T. Dame" wrote:
>         $Response->Redirect("/index.html");
>
> However, if we change the .htaccess file to set up ASP to handle SSI:

> (with second .htaccess file)
> % telnet test.site.com 80
> Trying x.x.x.x...
> Connected to test.site.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> get /test.asp HTTP/1.0
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.

Mark,

Your exact config worked for me, I have the latest installed
of everything ( 2.07 is latest ASP ) and I got:

]# lwp-request -edS http://localhost:82/redirect.asp
GET http://localhost:82/redirect.asp --> 302 Found
GET http://localhost:82/ --> 404 Not Found
Connection: close
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:58:51 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.14
Client-Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:58:51 GMT
Client-Peer: 127.0.0.1:82
Title: 404 Not Found

I would check the error_log, and double check that you have
EVERYTHING built for mod_perl failing there being anything
in the error_log.  This might be cause for stacked handlers
support not being compiled in (???) For there to be just a
connection close seems rather odd in any case, and I would
appreciate hearing what the resolution here is.

-- Josh

Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA

Re: Problems with Apache::ASP, SSI/Filter, and Redirects

Posted by "Mark T. Dame" <md...@mfm.com>.
"Mark T. Dame" wrote:

> We have a strange problem using Redirects with Apache::ASP 2.03.
>
> With this in the .htaccess file:
>
> # .asp files for Session state enabled
> <Files ~ (\.asp)>
>         SetHandler perl-script
>         PerlHandler Apache::ASP
>         PerlSetVar CookiePath  /
>         PerlSetVar Global  /path/to/asp/directory
>         PerlSetVar StateDir /path/to/state/directory
> </Files>
>
> the following works correctly:
>
>         $Response->Redirect("/index.html");
>
> However, if we change the .htaccess file to set up ASP to handle SSI:
>
> # .asp files for Session state enabled
> <Files ~ (\.asp)>
>         SetHandler perl-script
>         PerlHandler Apache::ASP Apache::SSI
>         PerlSetVar Filter On
>         PerlSetVar CookiePath  /
>         PerlSetVar Global  /path/to/asp/directory
>         PerlSetVar StateDir /path/to/state/directory
> </Files>
>
> it doesn't work.
>
> Here is the result from each:
>
> (with first .htaccess file)
> % telnet test.site.com 80
> Trying x.x.x.x...
> Connected to test.site.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> get /test.asp HTTP/1.0
>
> HTTP/1.1 302 Found
> Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:03:13 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_perl/1.24_01 mod_ssl/2.7.1
> OpenSSL/0.9.5a
> Set-Cookie: session-id=6f995b76dccf9e0a96533aa2aacd3b60; path=/
> Location: /index.html
> Cache-Control: private
> Connection: close
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> (with second .htaccess file)
> % telnet test.site.com 80
> Trying x.x.x.x...
> Connected to test.site.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> get /test.asp HTTP/1.0
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> We have Apache::Filter version 1.011 and Apache::SSI version 2.13.
>
> Any ideas?

For anyone who may be interested, upgrading to Apache::ASP 2.07 and
Apache::Filter 1.014 fixed the problem.

-m