Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Urmas <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/01 12:33:56 UTC

Re: Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

And yet the *OO developers treat Windows users as a second-class citizens.

Re: Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
JB wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 17:33:56 +0700
> "Urmas" <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And yet the *OO developers treat Windows users as a second-class
citizens.

>   You can't possibly be serious!
>
>   I guess it had to happen sometime - someone, somewhere would find
*something* to
>   whine about.

That Urmas is also demonstrating his ignorance in the LibreOffice
group.  To make the claims he is, one has to be totally clueless or a
d*mned liar.  I certainly have my suspicions on which.

Re: Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

Posted by JB <yo...@lavabit.com>.

--
“Those who suppress freedom always do so in the name of law and order.” -John v.
Lindsey

Re: Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

Posted by "Dave.Mainwaring" <da...@gmail.com>.
What was that company that used  to used to compete with OO?   Micro
something <g>
--
http://tinyurl.com/cx6bbng

http://tinyurl.com/kmjaygo

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-08-02 3:16 PM Dave.Mainwaring wrote:
> What was that company that used  to used to compete with OO?   Micro
> something <g>
> --
<Deleted spam links disguised with tinyurl />

Do you have a real question or are you just posting your spam links?

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by JB <yo...@lavabit.com>.
On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 17:12:19 +0700
"Urmas" <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Rob Weir":
> In what way do you think this is true?
>
> Bugs/features affecting Windows integration or performance are overlooked,
> sometimes for 2–3 years. Compatibility and interaction with Windows-only
> software is ridiculed.
>
> Those ones affecting Linux get more attention. It gives a clear message that
> developers give no crap about users and are concerned only with their
> corporations' interests.
>
> My pet peeve is the terrible work with dictionaries in Windows version which
> makes me use a Linux VM just to proofread documents.

  So you'd rather whine about some kind of 'problem' (that you don't give an example
  of btw, and which you simply could have written to this list about...2-3 years
  ago...to ask about it or let the dev's know about it) and pet peeves of a *FREE*
  software suite instead of going and using/buying the similar app (which has
  hundreds of people *getting paid* to work on) built purely for that nasty Windows
  OS?

  You wouldn't happen to be sitting in a park, using someone elses wireless
  connection to get online, defecating anywhere you please along with a
  hundred other people who haven't bathed in a couple weeks instead of being at work
  like the rest of us and are holding signs complaining about those who worked hard
  to have the money and company(ies) they own, would you?

  There's no pleasing the ungrateful.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 02/08/2013 14:05, Urmas a écrit :

> ...Except the Linux version does use dictionaries from a filesystem directory, while the Windows one doesn't.

It depends on how you install it. If you install from the debs (as I always do), then it's the same as under Windows.
I use AOO at work on Windows and at home under GNU/Linux (xubuntu) and have never really seen any major difference.

Hagar

Re: Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

Posted by Urmas <da...@gmail.com>.
"Andrea Pescetti":

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Urmas wrote:
> Those ones affecting Linux get more attention.

The 4.0.0 release was delayed to fix one specific bug, that only
affected Windows 8 systems.

> My pet peeve is the terrible work with dictionaries in Windows version
> which makes me use a Linux VM just to proofread documents.

Dictionaries are exactly the same on all platforms. If you have
dictionary problems on Windows, reset your profile:
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426

If you still have problems, write again but please include more details
(your language + your dictionary version + one specific problem).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Summary of AOO 4.0 download activity for 1st week

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.
Yes, you're right, there is a lot that could be improved but keep in mind that Oracle hasn't done anything to improve the product.
I have a lot of respect for the hard work these volunteers do.

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.