Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by email builder <em...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/09 02:09:17 UTC

multiple hosts for spamc -d ?

All,

  Some postings a while back led me to believe that I could specify multiple
hosts for the -d option of spamc.  I understood that it would operate
basically on a fallback basis (not load balancing).  However, I can't seem to
get spamc to use more than one of the -d listings.  I've tried:

/usr/bin/spamc -d 123.45.67.8 -d 127.0.0.1
/usr/bin/spamc -d 123.45.67.8 127.0.0.1

  And switched the order around and fiddled with hostnames vs IP addresses,
but no dice.  I understand the man page to say that it will use fallback
logic if the hostname resolves (via DNS query, right?) to more than one
host... so why can't I give it those hosts directly?

TIA!

__________________________________
Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

Re: multiple hosts for spamc -d ?

Posted by Dave Goodrich <ld...@tls.net>.
email builder wrote:
> All,
>
>   Some postings a while back led me to believe that I could specify multiple
> hosts for the -d option of spamc.  I understood that it would operate
> basically on a fallback basis (not load balancing).  However, I can't seem to
> get spamc to use more than one of the -d listings.  I've tried:
>
> /usr/bin/spamc -d 123.45.67.8 -d 127.0.0.1
> /usr/bin/spamc -d 123.45.67.8 127.0.0.1
>
>   And switched the order around and fiddled with hostnames vs IP addresses,
> but no dice.  I understand the man page to say that it will use fallback
> logic if the hostname resolves (via DNS query, right?) to more than one
> host... so why can't I give it those hosts directly?
>
> TIA!

 From http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/doc/spamc.html

"-d host
     In TCP/IP mode, connect to spamd server on given host (default:
localhost).

     If host resolves to multiple addresses, then spamc will fail-over
to the other addresses, if the first one cannot be connected to"

You need to have a host that has multiple A records.

spamd.domain.com A 123.123.123.123
spamd.domain.com A 123.123.123.124
spamd.domain.com A 123.123.123.125

/usr/bin/spamc -d spamd.domain.com

If your DNS server sends the results back in a different order each time
then it will not be a fallback but a round robin. You might be able to
simply use /etc/host entries. I've never tried it as I use qmail which
will not use the host file, so I always rely on DNS. Don't know if spamc
will use the host file or not.

DAve

--
Dave Goodrich