Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jason Winnebeck <jp...@rit.edu> on 2007/07/10 22:04:15 UTC

Correcting repository in place

If I dump and reload a corrected repository on the server, how do I get
my clients to work again?

Based on my work from "svn mv "breaks" annotate" thread, I have
corrected the converter's problems. This resulted in a dumpfile with a
few less transactions. However, the old repository was live. What I did
was did the corrections in a separate repository, then did an svnadmin
dump --incremental of the changesets since the conversion. The resulting
repository seems to be how I want it with the proper history intact, and
I set the svn:date props of the revisions to be in the proper time, so
everything looks right. Problem is that the revision numbers are
different.

Now, the clients can't operate on the repository. I am not surprised:

svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/AHM/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: No such revision 11275

Trying to do a "switch" or a "co" over the old location doesn't seem to
help, either. They give the same error. What can I do to replace an
existing repository? It's only been live for a couple of days and we are
a small team so the subtleties are OK (i.e. we are all at HEAD and don't
have anything referring to specific numbers yet, but might have some
changed files).

Is the only solution to manually "pack out" changes, delete everything
and start over?

Jason

RE: Correcting repository in place

Posted by Jason Winnebeck <jp...@rit.edu>.
Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Russ <rs...@istandfor.com>.
I believe if you do some extra commits to have the repo catch up in revision numbers, it might work.  Another solution is to do a fresh checkout of the new repo and then copy over any incommuted changes.

Russ
Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Jason Winnebeck" <jp...@rit.edu> writes:
> If I dump and reload a corrected repository on the server, how do I get
> my clients to work again?

Just have them check out a fresh copy, that's the safest way.

-K

--
Subversion support & consulting  <>  http://producingoss.com/consulting.html