Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rainer Bielefeld <ra...@bielefeldundbuss.de> on 2014/02/06 10:52:51 UTC

Bugzilla: Keyword "regression"

Hi,

currently the manual on
<https://issues.apache.org/ooo/describekeywords.cgi> seems to suggest to
use that keyword also for problems what appeared between OOo 1.0.2 and
OOo 1.0.3. Such use might be correct as a matter of form, but I think
useless for QA and developers daly work.

"regression" key word indicates a major priority for fixing a bug,
because appearance of new problems is bad for AOO's reputation. But a
regression between OOo 1.0.0 and OOo 1.0.1 from 2001 (as an overstated
example) is nothing what should cause major reputation loss for AOO in 2014.

So I recommend to limit use of Keyword "regression" for all Problems
what appeared with AOO 3.4-dev or later and to add a corresponding hint
in Bugzilla Help.

BTW: I recommend to keep those hints in Bugzilla short (not more than 2
text rows or so) and do link to more elaborated help in the Wiki (for
example).

Best regards

Rainer

Re: Bugzilla: Keyword "regression"

Posted by Rainer Bielefeld <ra...@bielefeldundbuss.de>.
Rob Weir schrieb:

> I wonder whether a combination of the regression flag and the version
> field would give us everything we need to know?

Hi,

that's the main intentions behind my suggestion. If we know we have had
a regression (not too long ago, with "Regression keyword) and also have
found the version where it appeared, we can find the commit what causes
the problem. With reasons for the commit fresh in their mind developers
should be able to fix that quickly. With old regressions that's more
difficult, nobody remembers why the code changes have been done and what
later commits' functions will break after changes in that area.

So the "regression" keyword can be a flag showing that here is an
annoying mishap what can be fixed with probably bearable "costs".

CU

Posted by Rainer Bielefeld <ra...@bielefeldundbuss.de>.

Posted by Amin, AS...@nike.apache.org, RUS, Ç...@nike.apache.org, IBMM <am...@mm.pl>.
Rob, 'Not' for your enquire.