Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/17 11:48:31 UTC

Issues piling up

Hi all, I'm again seeing the issue count tend to pile up. I try to run
through regularly to resolve anything addressed to me, and even things that
aren't but that I am confident enough to fix. It would be great if everyone
could do the same in a spare 1-2 hours this week, if only to say "yes, go
ahead on that patch" or "no I don't think this is a good idea". Especially
the committers who have not been active in a while.

To me, this is the most essential work we can do, because without responses
from those with power to commit, new community members get the message that
their contributions are ignored, or that nobody's home. That's no good.
Understanding that individuals may not have time to actively write their own
new changes and improvements, it seems that the least we can all do is
involve and respond to external input, to bring in those who want to make
changes.

I'd also like to sweep through the issues that have not been touched in 6+
months and close some that just do not seem to be getting any traction or
attention. The theory is that closing stuff that by all accounts won't get
looked at better communicates what's coming in the project, and focuses
attention on issues that might get looked at.

Before I start that though, would welcome anyone to peek at everything
that's open and assign, comment, ping, etc. anything that needs to be kept
alive.

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Shannon Quinn <sq...@gatech.edu>.
My issues of interest:

MAHOUT-516: Eigencuts produces unexpected results
This is finding a decent heuristic for automatically determining the
degree fed to the Lanczos solver.

MAHOUT-517: Eigencuts needs an output format
Something better than System.out.println()

MAHOUT-518: Implement Affinity Preprocessing for Eigencuts and Spectral
KMeans
Have a map job sit in front of eigencuts/spectral k-means that converts
some standard input format (perhaps CSV?) into the affinity matrix used
by the algorithms.

MAHOUT-524: DisplaySpectralKMeans example fails
Something strange in the clusters shown in the example.

MAHOUT-537: Bring DistributedRowMatrix into compliance with Hadoop 0.20.2
Somewhat on hold until a later version of Hadoop.

I'm sorry for my lack of activity; my summer internship with Google kept
me busier than I'd expected. However, with the return of PhD research,
my advisor wants to very quickly--as in, the next couple months--push
out a prototype for our framework that uses Mahout, so these issues
should be attended to very, very soon.

Shannon

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
More later, but…

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Frank Scholten <fr...@frankscholten.nl>.
MAHOUT-612: Simplify configuring and running Mahout MapReduce jobs
from Java using Java bean configuration

Currently working on Fuzzy K-Means configuration

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Aug 17, 2011, at 11:09 AM, Sebastian Schelter wrote:

> Thanks for offering your help, but I guess it need something more than someone helping per mail...
>
> I need someone to sit down with me in my office and answer lots of possibly very embarassing questions :)

I doubt you are alone in those questions.

> --sebastian
>
> On 17.08.2011 16:51, Ted Dunning wrote:
>> Just holler.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Sebastian Schelter <ssc@apache.org
>> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    MAHOUT-773 Implement Random Walk with Restarts
>>
>>    I have a working patch, but Ted suggested the use of random
>>    projections, I'll have a look into that if I get hold of a linear
>>    algebra guru :)

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Just holler.

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
I ran through the issues and compiled a list of tasks I'll care about,
please keep them open.

MAHOUT-710 Implementing K-Trusses

I'll pick up work on that in a few weeks.

MAHOUT-777 Improve TransposeJob to use a Combiner

Patch needs review from Jake (or anyone else willing to do that)

MAHOUT-767 Improve RowSimilarityJob performance for count-based distance
measures

Currently working on that.

MAHOUT-773 Implement Random Walk with Restarts

I have a working patch, but Ted suggested the use of random projections,
I'll have a look into that if I get hold of a linear algebra guru :)

MAHOUT-737 Implicit Alternating Least Squares SVD

This one needs input from Tamas Jambor, the code looked good, yet he has
to rework it to avoid a matrix inversion.

MAHOUT-609 Add an option to make RecommenderJob write out it's computed
item similarities

This should be a small change that I'll add in some spare time or before
the next release.

--sebastian

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
I think all the renewed activity is great. Next week, I will update JIRA to
reflect these comments, and perhaps close out some items that are not
mentioned here.

We seem to make a release after about 6 months or 150 JIRA issues. There's
no hard rules about that, but seems like a fine pace to date. That would put
us to a new release around January next year by default. Hey, if there's a
surge of activity, let's make it sooner.

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Here are my thoughts so far:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36863361/sd-2.pdf

and tex source:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36863361/sd-2.tex

I think that this gets rid of the QR steps.  I am still debugging the case
of a singular matrix, but that shouldn't apply to any real cases.

Re: Issues piling up

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.