Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Alan Myrvold <am...@google.com> on 2017/12/08 00:38:47 UTC

Introduction + interest in helping Beam builds, tests, and releases

Hi, I'm Alan.

I've been working with Google Cloud engineering productivity, and I'm keen
on improving the Beam release process and build/test infrastructure.

I will be first looking into scripting some of the release validation steps
for the nightly java snapshot releases, but hope to learn and improve the
whole development and testing experience for Beam.

Look forward to working with everyone!

Alan Myrvold

Re: Introduction + interest in helping Beam builds, tests, and releases

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Alan,

it sounds great ! Welcome !

Please, don't hesitate to ping me if need (I think I know the release process
pretty well ;) and especially, if we can check together if the changes you may
do are compliant with Apache rules).

Looking forward to work with you !

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Introduction + interest in helping Beam builds, tests, and releases

Posted by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com>.
Welcome Alan,

It's great to hear you'll be helping automate the release validation! This
will help ensure future releases happen faster, as we'll know each night
whether a release is likely to validate (instead of waiting until a release
is cut, as we do today). It will also help cut down on a lot of painful
manual steps today.

Reuven

Posted by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com>.
I think this would be very useful! Finding breaking changes early is always
better than waiting until it's too late.

Reuven

Posted by Etienne Chauchot <ec...@apache.org>.
Welcome Alan!

Regarding the release validation automation. I'm used to launch nexmark
query set to test a release. Automating that launch would be awesome !

And maybe also comparing run times of the queries to a stored baseline
would be good too to detect performance regressions.

Etienne

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.