Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/09 09:53:26 UTC

[configuration] Swing components for Commons Configuration?

I was wondering if anyone knows of a set of Swing components that could be
used with Commons Configuration?  I have an application that has accumulated
configuration information in XML files and properties files.  I'd like to
access this information from a single user interface and also a single
programmatic interface.  Commons Configuration seems idea for the latter use
case, but I can't seem to find any components that would allow the user to
interact with configuration settings.  Specifically components like a
preferences Tree, and editable forms found in the Eclipse Preferences API.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Fortner

Re: [configuration] Swing components for Commons Configuration?

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Mark Fortner schrieb:
> Hi Oliver,
> This looks like a good start.  I was thinking about something a little more
> comprehensive that would allow someone to map configuration items to fields
> in forms.  For example, if this was implemented via annotations, you would
> be able to decorate items like this:
>
> @Prefs{"/user-prefs[2]", "defaultFolder"}
> Preferences defaultFolder = .....
>

> This basically indicates that the object defaultFolder is bound to a field
> called "defaultFolder" which is found in a panel called "user-prefs".  The
> "user-prefs" panel is a child of the root node of the tree, and is the
> second field on the panel.
>
> Ideally, binding an item to a field on a panel would be declarative, and
> would obviate the need for property change event handler code -- similar to
> the way in which the Beans Binding framework works.
>
> It's probably a little beyond what you had intended, but gives you some idea
> of what I'm looking for.
>
> Mark

Ah, I see. This is indeed an interesting approach. And you are right,
this is beyond what I had in mind - and probably out of scope of the
Commons Configuration library.

I wonder whether it makes sense if a library like Commons Configuration
would be integrated into a typical application framework, e.g. the Swing
application framework [1]. Configuration is an important part of every
non-trivial application. And with an approach like yours the framework
could easily provide support for convenient preferences dialogs.

Just thinking aloud...

Oliver

[1] https://appframework.dev.java.net/

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

<ol...@oliver-heger.de>wrote:

> Mark Fortner schrieb:
>
>  I was wondering if anyone knows of a set of Swing components that could be
>> used with Commons Configuration?  I have an application that has
>> accumulated
>> configuration information in XML files and properties files.  I'd like to
>> access this information from a single user interface and also a single
>> programmatic interface.  Commons Configuration seems idea for the latter
>> use
>> case, but I can't seem to find any components that would allow the user to
>> interact with configuration settings.  Specifically components like a
>> preferences Tree, and editable forms found in the Eclipse Preferences API.
>>
>> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> I have written a Swing table model based on a hierarchical configuration
> [1]. Is this the sort of stuff you are looking for?
>
> Oliver
>
> [1]
> http://jguiraffe.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jguiraffe/trunk/src/main/java/net/sf/jguiraffe/gui/platform/swing/builder/components/SwingConfigurationTreeModel.java?view=markup
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark Fortner

Mark Fortner

blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/jroller/ideafactory

Re: [configuration] Swing components for Commons Configuration?

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.