Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org> on 2017/03/07 15:15:38 UTC

Re: Spark Improvement Proposals

Another week, another ping.  Anyone on the PMC willing to call a vote on
this?

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.
Many of us have issue with "shepherd role " , i think we should go with
vote.

Regards,
Vaquar khan

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
gonna end up with a stackoverflow on recursive votes here

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
Responding to your request for a vote, I meant that this isn't required per
se and the consensus here was not to vote on it. Hence the jokes about
meta-voting protocol. In that sense nothing new happened process-wise,
nothing against ASF norms, if that's your concern.

I think it's just an agreed convention now, that we will VOTE, as normal,
on particular types of changes that we call SPIPs. I mean it's no new
process in the ASF sense because VOTEs are an existing mechanic. I
personally view it as, simply, additional guidance about how to manage huge
JIRAs in a way that makes them stand a chance of moving forward. I suppose
we could VOTE about any JIRA if we wanted. They all proceed via lazy
consensus at the moment.

Practically -- I heard support for codifying this process and no objections
to the final form. This was bouncing around in process purgatory, when no
particular new process was called for.

It takes effect immediately, implicitly, like anything else I guess, like
amendments to code style guidelines. Please uses SPIPs to propose big
changes from here.

As to finding it hard to pick out of the noise, sure, I sympathize. Many
big things happen without a VOTE tag though. It does take a time investment
to triage these email lists. I don't know that this by itself means a VOTE
should have happened.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Tom Graves <tg...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
It seems like if you are adding responsibilities you should do a vote.  SPIP'S require votes from PMC members so you are now putting more responsibility on them. It feels like we should have an official vote to make sure they (PMC members) agree with that and to make sure everyone pays attention to it.  That thread has been there for a while just as discussion and now all of a sudden its implemented without even an announcement being sent out about it.
Tom

    On Monday, March 13, 2017 11:37 AM, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> wrote:

 This ended up proceeding as a normal doc change, instead of precipitating a meta-vote.However, the text that's on the web site now can certainly be further amended if anyone wants to propose a change from here.
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 1:50 PM Tom Graves <tg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I think a vote here would be good. I think most of the discussion was done by 4 or 5 people and its a long thread.  If nothing else it summarizes everything and gets people attention to the change.
Tom

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.
Can someone with filter share permissions can make a filter for open
SPIP and one for closed SPIP and share it?

e.g.

project = SPARK AND status in (Open, Reopened, "In Progress") AND
labels=SPIP ORDER BY createdDate DESC

and another with the status closed equivalent

I just made an open ticket with the SPIP label show it should show up

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.