Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sachin Ashok Wagh <Sa...@infosys.com> on 2005/06/03 20:42:36 UTC

query about throughput calculation and response time

Hi

There is a field in the aggregate report which is called as 'rate'. It
gives the throughput. Is it calculated using the laws of queuing theory?
There is a law that says

No of users = throughput * (response time + think time). If not, can
anyone tell me what is the method used by JMeter to calculate the rate.

Also, is the JMeter response time of the form "time to last byte" or
"time to first byte"?

Regards,

Sachin

Re: query about throughput calculation and response time

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 00:12 +0530, Sachin Ashok Wagh wrote:
> Hi
>

> There is a field in the aggregate report which is called as 'rate'. It
> gives the throughput. Is it calculated using the laws of queuing theory?
> There is a law that says
>
> No of users = throughput * (response time + think time). If not, can
> anyone tell me what is the method used by JMeter to calculate the rate.
>

> Also, is the JMeter response time of the form "time to last byte" or
> "time to first byte"?

Time to last byte.

The throughputs are calculated via #Responses/Total Test Time

In other words, its an actual throughput achieved measure, not really a
theoretical calculation.

-Mike