Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Ocean Dong <od...@sh.symbidia.com> on 2002/10/08 06:04:41 UTC

My idea and implementation about 'portlet category'

Jetspeed1.4 has introduced 'category' idea for portlet, but i feel current design, implementation and use of portlet category seems a little ambiguous. My company is working on jetspeed, and i redesign and implement portlet category function. There are two main desicion i have made:

1, portlet's category info should be separeted from portlet's self definition(in the xreg file)
2, admin is (and common user may also be) able to customize the whole category info hierarchy by logging into jetspeed.

As a result, i has designed a simple xml schema to store category info, provided a turbine service for read/write category info, wrote a special portlet to manage category info, and changed the jetspeed customizer a little for adding the support of category when selecting portlets.

The design and implementation is simple and unmature, but i think the basic idea is helpful. if anyone (especially contributors of jetspeed) is interested in what i have done, please refer to http://rd.sh.symbidia.com/~ocean/en/work.htm. I hope that can be contributed to jetspeed source.

thanx a lot!