Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Nilesh Chhapru <ni...@ugamsolutions.com> on 2014/12/18 08:53:35 UTC

Issues With Parallelism In Kafka Spout

Hi All,

I have implemented a high level Kafka consumer in Storm but looks like the parallelism isn't getting achieved as I have 3 partitions and 2 task for the spout, but only one of it is emitting the data.
PFB the screen grab for number of task of spout and data emitted by only one of them.

Please assist on how to achieve parallelism using high level Kafka spout.

[cid:image001.png@01D01ABD.FA56FB90]

Regards,
Nilesh Chhapru.

________________________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Disclaimer----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Ugam. Ugam does not accept any responsibility or liability for it. This e-mail message may contain proprietary, confidential or legally privileged information for the sole use of the person or entity to whom this message was originally addressed. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media.

Warning: Sufficient measures have been taken to scan any presence of viruses however the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Ugam accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. ****

Re: Issues With Parallelism In Kafka Spout

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Perhaps you can try getting some help from the Storm mailing list.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Nilesh Chhapru <ni...@ugamsolutions.com>.
Hi All / Harsha,

PFB the link for git.

https://github.com/nchhapru/storm-kafka-consumer/tree/master/src/main/java/com/ugam/crawler/core/consumer

Also  there is the caller program in with method : setHighLevelKafkaSpout
https://github.com/nchhapru/storm-kafka-consumer/blob/master/src/main/java/com/ugam/crawler/core/topology/PlatformTopology.java

Regards,
Nilesh Chhapru.

Posted by Andrew Neilson <ar...@gmail.com>.
Harsha asked a similar question, but I would definitely make certain that
messages being written to kafka are being partitioned the way you are
expecting. If you are trying to consume live events coming from a lone
kafka producer using default configuration, then messages are only going to
appear in one partition at a time.

See the Kafka FAQ for details
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/FAQ#FAQ-Whyisdatanotevenlydistributedamongpartitionswhenapartitioningkeyisnotspecified
?

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Nilesh Chhapru <

Posted by Nilesh Chhapru <ni...@ugamsolutions.com>.
Hi Harsha,

In the code shared, I’m ending the loop by giving a size criteria in the nextTuple(), which is very similar to HomeNL code.

Regards,
Nilesh Chhapru.

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.

 ****

RE: Issues With Parallelism In Kafka Spout

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.

Posted by Nilesh Chhapru <ni...@ugamsolutions.com>.
Hi Harsha,

The partitions and topics are having the data and the zookeeper also shows the group id of all the consumer in its logs.

Regards,
Nilesh Chhapru.

I have implemented a high level Kafka consumer in Storm but looks like the parallelism isn’t getting achieved as I have 3 partitions and 2 task for the spout, but only one of it is emitting the data.

PFB the screen grab for number of task of spout and data emitted by only one of them.

Please assist on how to achieve parallelism using high level Kafka spout.

[/static/docs/badimage.png]

Regards,

Nilesh Chhapru.

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.