Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/19 00:07:55 UTC

improving API docs and tutorials user experience

Hello dev list!

I've been doing a bit with .htaccess redirects on the site to get us things
like custom 404s and redirecting google searches that come in on outdated
material. That's working pretty well because the redirects are simple.

I need help though. I've written a short proposal on how I think the UX for
API docs and tutorials should work. I'm not trying a major jump here. This
is a small amount of change for a better experience.
For example, right now, if you're browsing API docs for 1.3.0 and want to
see the master version, you would hit the dropdown and select master. Then
you get taken to the home page for master and have to go find the document
again. (It's always done this.) It should stay on that document, but give
the latest version. Or for tutorials, if you request a really old, likely
broken tutorial because it happens to show up in google search results, the
site should kindly escort you to the latest, tested tutorial.

mod_rewrite and .htaccess can do this, but it requires regex skills that I
lack. I've tried hundreds of variations now, and would like some guidance.

Here's the proposal and my notes:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Version+calls+and+redirects+for+Tutorials+and+API+documents

I appreciate your help with this!

Cheers,
Aaron

Re: improving API docs and tutorials user experience

Posted by "Afrooze, Sina" <si...@gmail.com>.
+1 on auto-search inside 404 page. (btw, love the fixed version switch. So helpful).

On 9/21/18, 2:50 PM, "Aaron Markham" <aa...@gmail.com> wrote:

    I fixed the most annoying behavior with the versions dropdown here:
    Now it'll remember what doc you're on when you switch versions.
    I show an example with autograd where when you switch versions it keeps you
    on topic even down to the bookmark. If you go to an old version where it
    doesn't exist you get a custom 404.
    I guess it could be possible to daisy chain some checks and redirects, but
    this could be jarring.
    I like this concept of suggestions though. What if the 404 page gets a
    query string with a topic payload, and we use that to throw out some search
    results?

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.