Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jdunn <jd...@augustmail.com> on 2000/12/13 02:05:25 UTC

Why won't tomcat start

I had tomcat 3.1 running with Apache - then wiped tomcat out & down
loaded 3.2
Now it won't run. Not even stand alone -  The U.G is no help

i386 Linux Red hat 6.2   jdk1.2.2 from Blackdown (Sun) in
/usr/local/jdk1.2.2
tomcat in /usr/local/tomcat3.2
echo $TOMCAT_HOME  returns /usr/local/tomcat3.2
echo $JAVA_HOME  returns  /usr/local/jdk1.2.2
demo programs in jdk1.2.2 run OK from command line. Java is installed
and running OK.  as root - I execute  startup.sh  from
/usr/local/tomcat3.2/bin
It prints :
'Using classpath:  " and a string that contains corect paths to
ant.jar:    jasper.jar    jaxp.jar   parser.jar   servlet.jar  test
webserver.jar
and   tools.jar
then it prints
/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/bin/java :basename command not found
:uname command not found
:uname command not found
:ls  command not found
:expr command not found
:expr command not found
:dirname command not found
:dirname  command not found
Error: can't find libjava.so

However libjava.so is in the /usr/local/jdk1.2.2/jre/lib/i386
subdirectory
What gives ?