Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by John Hart <jh...@testra.com> on 2016/10/02 09:08:43 UTC

Page numbering

Page numbering question:

Is their a simple way to get page numbers at the bottom of the page?
Inserting a page number worked, but following pages didn't inherit
property. Do I have to create a footer and insert the page number into it?

jrh

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 3 Oct 2016, at 10:41 AM, John Hart <jh...@testra.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/2/2016 2:22 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>>> Page numbering question:

>> In the definition for the Page Style in use, click on the Footer tab and put a checkmark against Footer On. Then click in the box that appears at page bottom, enter a tab, then /insert /Field /Page number. That presupposes you need the page number centred, hence the tab.
> Thanks, it worked correctly.
>
> The next problem is when the document is inserted into the master,
> page numbering is lost. How are page numbers enabled in master
> documents?

It's called a Master document for good reasons.
The Master document takes control, so setup page numbering in the Master document.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 16:17 04/10/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
>The numbering system works until I insert pages in front of the body
>for the title, etc. Then every other page gets numbered, and if the
>number is odd, page numbering for
>the whole document is turned off.

Format | Page... | Header (or Footer) | Same content left/right.

>Is this a BUG ...

I doubt it. You haven't said enough about exactly what you are trying
to do for anyone to know this.

>... in OO 3.3 ...

Why use a legacy version? Is the bug that you have yet to upgrade
software from January 2011 which was rendered obsolete in May 2012?

>The manual discusses Roman Numeral numbering of the preface, and
>uses page break insertion options the version I'm using doesn't have.

The 3.3 Writer Guide illustrates (on page 182) that the same options
are available in manual page breaks as in current versions (and as in
Illustration 20 in the Writer for Students manual). What are you not seeing?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Samuel Santos <as...@araujoabreu.com.br>.
Bom  dia,

como faço para sair do grupo?

Att.

Santos

*Att.*

Samuel Santos

Araújo Abreu Engenharia S/A Contrato Oi
Site Beneditinos / Mackenzie
Email: assist.beneditinos@araujoabreu.com.br
 Web:  www.araujoabreu.com.br <http://www.araujoabreu.com.br/>

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 07/10/16 8:55 AM, toki wrote:
> On 06/10/2016 01:19, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>
>> even with a crap package you can achieve perfect results.
> Sometimes inferior software won't allow one to make the adjustments that
> are needed, for perfect results.

The point I was trying to make is that we should stop blaming the software.
If we concentrate on WHAT we want to achieve we find our way around the
roadblocks.
If we concentrate on HOW we want to achieve things we find always
roadblocks on your path.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 06/10/16 10:02 AM, John Hart wrote:
> On 10/5/2016 3:11 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>> The problem is that you don't read the answers given already to you.
>> for example Rory said in one of his many answers :
>>
>> One can certainly edit a style after it is used.
> AND, he also said
>
> The built in styles are usually adequate for all but the most complex
> formatting, so I took his advice and was seeking information on how to
> use them.

Most cases is not the same as all cases.

> AND, When what I was told to do didn't work, I was trying to clarify
> what needed to be done to get the correct style in the right place.
>
> The response I was looking for was a set of instructions on how to
> accomplish a simple task, not criticism for failing to master what
> a novice user should be able to do in a flash.
>
> I don't want a polished document, just a draft with a title and table of
> contents. I know how powerful styles can be, but that doesn't mean is
> should be difficult to set up for a simple task.
>
> I would appreciate it, if someone who understands the underlying
> structure page numbering in styles would explain how they work at the
> software level.

This is a user mailing list. For an explanation of the underlying
structure you need to talk to the developers, who
by the way seldom visit this mailing list. We're happy to give advice on
a voluntary basis , but hand holding is
something different.

> Starting with the template.
> Does the title page need a different template without page numbering?

Title pages don't need to be different, but can be different based on
your requirements.

> If not, what overrides the page number, how is it inserted, and where
> does it go?
> etc.

It's the results that count, not the tools you use.
To achieve perfect results you don't need a perfect application, even

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 06/10/16 8:47 AM, John Hart wrote:
> On 10/5/2016 10:30 AM, toki wrote:
>> Look at the page style for Chapter 1. It should be_Right Page_.
> 1. A right click on the first page of chapter 1 brings up a menu.
> 2. Towards the bottom of the menu is Edit Paragraph Style.
> 3. Is this the right place to make the change?
>
> The Organizer tab shows:
>
> Name,        Pre formatted text, which can't be changed.
> Next style,  Pre formatted text, and the pop down menu has many
> selections,
>              none close to "Right Page"
> Linked with, Default, and the pop down menu has a similar but different
>              list of selections, none close to "Right Page"
>
> From what I understand, styles are associated with paragraphs, not pages,

The problem is that you don't read the answers given already to you. for
example Rory said in one of his many answers :

One can certainly edit a style after it is used.  The best way to to this (works for all versions) is to use /Format /Styles and Formatting (or F11 key).  The window that then opens provides access to all styles; this access is controlled by the five icons across the top of that window.

Please note Rory talks about All Styles and Five Icons the documentation
referred in replies from others explain all of this.

> and style changes propagate in some magic way that makes them work if
> they
> are placed correctly in an underlying structure by a myriad of tools
> who's
> use is NOT intuitively obvious.
>
> All I wanted to do was put a title page, and table of contents in
> front of a multi file document that prints exactly as it needs to. Why
> this is so complex, in what is supposed to be a mature software
> package used by millions is hard to under stand. If volunteers at OO
> want their project to succeed they need to stop adding features, and
> make it easy for first users to do something productive with the
> software without having to learn a bunch of
> intricate complexities.

Creating a document is the easy part, formatting a document and make it
attractive to read is an art which requires
time and effort to master.

> This is the structure
> text1, when empty, prints correct
> file1, prints correct
> file2, prints correct
> text2, empty
>
> The question: What needs to go in text1 in what order to make it work.

The real question is are you willing to put some effort in yourself.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 05/10/2016 21:47, John Hart wrote:

> From what I understand, styles are associated with paragraphs, not pages,

There are:
* Page Styles;
* Paragraph Styles;
* Numbering Styles;
* Character Styles;

Depending upon how configured, these styles can be used to trigger other
things.

In my example, a slight modification of Header 1, results in the page
style Right Page being inserted before the heading.

> All I wanted to do was put a title page, and table of contents in front
> of a multi file document that prints exactly as it needs to.

Title page that flows into copyright page that flows into
FrontMatterRightPage that flows into FrontMatterLeftPage, that flows
into FrontMatterRightPage, etc.

Then use Header One that automatically insert RightPage before the
header, after make that configuration.

>Why this is  so complex, in what is supposed to be a mature software
package used by
 millions is hard to under stand.

It is complex, precisely because it a mature package, for which people
have used for a plethora of use cases that you probably never dreamed
existed.

jonathon

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.
On 10/5/2016 10:30 AM, toki wrote:
> Look at the page style for Chapter 1. It should be_Right Page_.
1. A right click on the first page of chapter 1 brings up a menu.
2. Towards the bottom of the menu is Edit Paragraph Style.
3. Is this the right place to make the change?

The Organizer tab shows:

Name,        Pre formatted text, which can't be changed.
Next style,  Pre formatted text, and the pop down menu has many selections,
              none close to "Right Page"
Linked with, Default, and the pop down menu has a similar but different
              list of selections, none close to "Right Page"

 From what I understand, styles are associated with paragraphs, not pages,

Re: Page numbering

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.
On 10/4/2016 6:43 PM, toki wrote:
> Select the appropriate attributes for the appropriate styles.
>
> I'd have to look at the document in question, to explain why it produces
> the result it does. I suspect that it due to the inserted page not
> having headers/footers in which page numbers can be inserted, and
> forcing all subsequent pages to be of the same style.
Title page
Copyright page
Table of contents, would like the page number included.
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter n.
Epilogue

The Title, Copyright, and Table were pasted into the TEXT block
at the beginning, separated by inserted Manual Breaks. If those
breaks were wrong, can they be replaced, or edited?

Does it need three separate TEXT blocks at the beginning?

jrh

Re: Page numbering

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 04/10/2016 23:17, John Hart wrote:
> If it's not a BUG,  what needs to be added to make it work..

Select the appropriate attributes for the appropriate styles.

I'd have to look at the document in question, to explain why it produces
the result it does. I suspect that it due to the inserted page not
having headers/footers in which page numbers can be inserted, and
forcing all subsequent pages to be of the same style.

Regardless, it isn't a bug, but simply a misunderstanding of how to
configure page styles.

jonathon

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 16:17:42 -0700
John Hart <jh...@testra.com> wrote:

> On 10/4/2016 12:12 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> >> Just because styles are powerful, doesn't mean they have to be hard to use.

> > See the file referenced in this posting for an overview of using Style
> > https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275320#p275320
> >
> > This document may also be informative:
> > https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students
> > This latter document is "Writer for Students" (several languages)--
> Unfortunately they don't provide the information I need.
>
> The numbering system works until I insert pages in front of the body for
> the title, etc.
> Then every other page gets numbered, and if the number is odd, page
> numbering for
> the whole document is turned off.
>
> Is this a BUG in OO 3.3 that was fixed in later versions?
> If so, is there a workaround?
> If it's not a BUG,  what needs to be added to make it work..
> The manual discusses Roman Numeral numbering of the preface,
> and uses page break insertion options the version I'm using doesn't have.
>
> jrh

Some detailed Page Numbering/Page Style tutorials are at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=71&sid=b270debd1649de9c2b12fd86ce680817

What you describe is not a bug; it is caused by incorrect understanding of the tool you are using.  If "every other page gets numbered" then you are probably using a Left/Right sequence of pages, with numbers only on one or other page style; alternately, you may be using a mirrored page style set not to use the same style left and right.  OpenOffice frequently offers a number of methods of achieving any desired end.

If you position cursor at very start of text in your work (turning on /View /non printing characters - a toggle command - is helpful), typing Ctrl Enter will give a new page inserted before the existing.  You should then format this page to the desired page style.

I have formatted many books correctly, with all usual pagination for prelims, text and appendices, using OO 3 and OO 4, both with existing text sequences and with text in process of writing, so I doubt there are bugs preventing such formatting.

A more detailed discussion on use of Styles is in Bruce Byfield's "Designing with LibreOffice", much of which is applicable to OpenOffice.  It may be downloaded from http://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 02:33:46 -0700
John Hart <jh...@testra.com> wrote:

> On 10/5/2016 1:53 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > My advice is to forget working on your main document for the present - it is too complex for initial learning and one is always worried that a wrong action will destroy it.  Make a short trial file and use that to set up sample page numbering.
> The main document is just a list of files. It makes it a little slow
> opening,
> but there's no danger of them being corrupted, and they're securely
> backed up.
>
> I brought up the style editor, which has more properties than the pop down.
> It has a place for a name, but it wouldn't let me change it. It was
> opened by right clicking on a paragraph, which is probably why. How
> are new styles created, and shouldn't the styles that came with the
> software be sufficient for the simple task of making a Title page,
> Copyright page, and table of contents?

The built in styles are usually adequate for all but the most complex formatting.  They may be modified to suit the User's specific design requirements.

When one right clicks on a style in Styles and Formatting (also known as "the Stylist") one should get an option for New, Modify, Delete (Delete will not be available for built-in styles).  One should check that the option in the bottom bar of "Styles and Formatting" wind is set to "All" (at least initially) and that one has clicked on the icon appropriate to the styles one wishes to edit.

> Is there a way to change the style selected when a break was inserted?
> If not, how are they found and deleted?

When using /Insert /Manual break to insert a Page break, one can select the page style to be inserted from the Style dropdown on that window.  If the "Styles and Formatting" window is open, the current style is shown highlighted - this works across the five style type selections controlled by the five icons. The style of the selected page is also indicated on the Status Bar, about 1/3 way across.  Status Bar is usually the bottom bar of OO Window (unless it has been moved)

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 01:29:32 -0700
John Hart <jh...@testra.com> wrote:

> On 10/4/2016 6:05 PM, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
> > The trick is to first set up the page styles.
> Can a style be edited after it's used?
> If so how is it done?

One can certainly edit a style after it is used.  The best way to to this (works for all versions) is to use /Format /Styles and Formatting (or F11 key).  The window that then opens provides access to all styles; this access is controlled by the five icons across the top of that window.

The first icon gives Paragraph styles, next icon Character Styles, then Frame styles, Page Styles and list styles.

Press the 4th icon from left to display page styles.  The precise selection of styles displayed can be controlled by the dropdown menu on that window bottom - initially use "All styles",

Right click on a style and choose Modify from the popup.  This should allow you to turn off Header/Footer display on the First Page Style (from memory, these should be off by default).

> On the far left of the bottom command bar there's a toggle icon.
> One view shows a list of files, the other functions.
>
> At the top of the file list is an object called text.
> The instructions implied the title, copyright, table of contents,
> and preface are in this block.
> The instructions said insert a manual break,
> which brings up a list of three options, line break, column break, and
> page break. I don't know what a column break does, but the instructions
> said page break so it doesn't matter.

For Information: columns flow text from one column to the next.  If you wish to cease the flow of text in one column and move to the next column for text entry, you must insert a column break.  Frequently the need for a column break indicates that the user has made a wrong choice - instead of using columns and trying to position texts beside each other aligned across columns, a better choice might have been to use Tables, where the texts can be aligned in cells across a row,

>At below the options is a pop down
> of styles.
> [none]
> Envelop
> First page
> Landscape
> Right page
> Left page
>
> I use First page for the Title, expecting it not to have a page number,
> but it does.
>
> Do I need four text blocks in front of the files? Or can the four
> sections go in one block? I would like the page numbers for the chapters
> in the table of contents. Is the Index used for that?

Page numbers are inserted into a ToC by the defining structures selected for the ToC.  My advice at present is to ignore the ToC and get  your document correctly paginated.  Insertion of a correctly formatted ToC should cause page numbering to automatically adjust to reflect the extra page(s) of the ToC.  Get pagination correct first.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 01:29 05/10/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
>Can a style be edited after it's used? If so how is it done?

Yes. And for page styles (which is what you should be talking about
here), it happens that there is an even easier way than the general
way, using the Styles and Formatting window, that others have
explained. Character and paragraph formatting can be achieved by
local formatting or through styles, but page formatting is achieved
only through styles. If you go to Format | Page..., you will see that
the panel is headed Page Style: <whatever>, and changes that you make
there are changes to the page style of the current page and affect
all pages with that style.

>The instructions said insert a manual break, [...] and page break.
>[...] At below the options is a pop down of styles.

Those are just all the page styles currently available, whether they
are built-in, built-in but modified by you, or new ones created by you.

>I use First page for the Title, expecting it not to have a page
>number, but it does.

The default First Page page style has no header or footer, let alone
a page number. You must have inserted this. When you insert a header
or footer, you modify the page style to have one.

>If I knew how to use the tool, I could figure out the structure, but
>knowing neither makes it very hard to use.

That's correct, you do have to learn how to use the tool before it
will become second nature.

At 02:08 05/10/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
>On 10/4/2016 6:57 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>Why use a legacy version? Is the bug that you have yet to upgrade
>>software from January 2011 which was rendered obsolete in May 2012?
>
>I'm working on an obsolete computer with limited disk space, and
>it's a simple project that won't be using advanced features.

I don't think that current version are any more demanding that your
3.3, so upgrading ought to be possible. But - as I explained - this
is almost certainly irrelevant here as the facilities you need were
in that version anyway.

>I don't know the structure of the style process, or any familiarity
>with the tools. What's intuitively obvious to you, will make little
>sense to me until I understand it.

It's not a question of what I understand or you don't. You said some
options that were shown in the documentation were not available to
you. I asked what they were. If you say what they are, it may be
possible to help.

>When I right click on a paragraph, I get a pop down menu with
>Default at the top, ...

That's "Default Formatting", in  fact. And it's not (as you appear to
think) a title for the menu but simply one of the menu items.

>... and a list of properties. I assume if they're changed, it
>changes the default, not a good idea.

No: these items change local formatting of the currently selected
text. The term "default" is often confusing. If you do change any
styles, even ones that happen to be named Default, this changes those
styles for the current document - as you may well wish to do. It
doesn't affect the default in the sense of the default for your
installation of OpenOffice - the styles in any new document are unaffected.

>Towards the bottom is: Edit Paragraph Style...

This is irrelevant if you are still asking about page numbering,
which is controlled by *page* styles, not paragraph styles.

>So what needs to be done to get page numbering, centering, and fonts for:
>The Title page,
>the Copyright notice,
>and the table of contents.

It's infeasible to present a complete introduction to page numbering,
page styles, manual page breaks, tables of contents, and so on in
e-mail correspondence. That is why people have referred you to
appropriate helpful documentation. If you are good at reading
manuals, you should find these a help. Once you have got the general
idea of how to achieve what you need, it is very easy to ask
questions about the detail and get helpful replies. Failing that, you
may prefer to read a book, enrol in a course, join a club, get local
help from a friend, and so on.

>I would like the table of contents to have page numbers for the
>chapters, and it would be nice to have the chapter names come from
>the documents. Is that easy to do?

Yes. You need to give your chapter names one of the Heading paragraph styles.

At 02:33 05/10/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
>Is there a way to change the style selected when a break was
>inserted? If not, how are they found and deleted?

Yes: that's easy.
o Put the cursor at the very start of the new page (created by the
manual page break) - just under the tell-tale dark blue line
displaying the page break.
o Press Backspace.
o This will remove the page break and you can re-insert it, this time
choosing the desired new page style.

At 14:47 05/10/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
> From what I understand, styles are associated with paragraphs, not pages, ...

No. Character, paragraph, page, frame, and list styles all exist. To
control page numbering, consider only page styles. (To get chapter
names to appear in tables of contents, consider only paragraph styles.)

>All I wanted to do was put a title page, and table of contents in
>front of a multi file document that prints exactly as it needs to.
>Why this is so complex, ...

It's not complex, but neither is it trivial.

>... in what is supposed to be a mature software package used by
>millions is hard to understand.

I think you have answered your own question by this contradiction! If
it is used by millions, it must be as easy to understand as those
millions can cope with and are happy with. But they did have to learn
(or should have).

>If volunteers at OO want their project to succeed they need to stop
>adding features, and make it easy for first users to do something
>productive with the software without having to learn a bunch of
>intricate complexities.

Doesn't use by millions count as success? Remember that if you do not
like the software you are very welcome to use something else.

>In user friendly software, this should take about ten minutes, not ten hours.

Is a piano user-friendly? Is a car user-friendly? You have to spend
even longer than ten hours learning to use those. One reason that you
are taking a long time over this is that you are going about it the
wrong way, writing long e-mail messages describing what you see, as
if these should teach you to use the software.
o The gear stick just says R-N-1-2-3...: what's that supposed to mean?!
o The piano has lots of keys, some white and others black - but with
no labels at all! How am I supposed to know what to do with them?!

At 16:02 05/10/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
>The response I was looking for was a set of instructions on how to
>accomplish a simple task, not criticism ...

Here are two simple tasks:
o Driving from London to Oxford.
o Playing "Happy Birthday".
Please provide instructions.

>Starting with the template.

Aaargh! Please don't involve new red herrings. Page numbering is
controlled by *page styles*, not templates, not the clutch pedal, not
the key of C# minor ...

Brian Barker

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.
Thanks for the assistance Rory, and everyone else who tried to help.

The reason for the difficulty was an obscure bug in OO_3.3, combined
with my unusual method of learning, ended up doing things that couldn't
be undone. Some changes made to master documents are tricky to reverse,
and some how got saved, so the master document became corrupt in a way
that was screwing up page numbering, even after everything inserted had
been deleted.

A search for numbering problems in master documents, reveals many have
had similar problems, and quit using OO in disgust because they wasted
so much time trying to solve it.

jrh

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 06:51 06/10/2016 -0400, Lucetta Noname wrote:
>Good bye Rory! Much appreciate all your advice and time spent here.
>Your advice has been invaluable.

Oh, he only said he's leaving *this thread*, not the mailing list.
You can't get rid of him that easily!

;^)

Brian Barker

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Lucetta <lu...@lucetta.ca>.
Good bye Rory! Much appreciate all you advice and time spent here. You advice has been invaluable.

Save journeys!

Lucetta

Re: Page numbering

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 00:03 06/10/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
>On 10/5/2016 9:59 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>>Aaargh! Please don't involve new red herrings. Page numbering is
>>controlled by *page styles*, not templates, not the clutch pedal,
>>not the key of C# minor ...
>
>Until page numbering was added to the template, page numbering
>didn't work, so the template must be significant.

You are welcome to continue to ignore advice.

>I would guess the vast majority of OO users, don't use master
>documents, and would encounter similar problems if they tried.

Others have suggested that you would do better to abandon the master
document route. If nothing else, wouldn't it help you to get to grips
with page styles and page numbering in a simple document first?

>Some simple answers should solve the problem.

Your problem is definitely not any lack of answers. And you certainly
cannot learn this stuff from answers. You may be able to get a
particular document to work this way, but you will still be
complaining that you don't understand what Writer is doing.

> From the writers guide:
>Be sure the first page of this new document is set to the page style
>you want for the first page of the final document; if it is not, change it.
>
>Is this done by inserting a page break, and selecting something from the menu?

No. Why not use the Styles and Formatting panel, as has been
suggested? Just double-click the required (page) style.

>In our example, the style for the first page is Title page. There is
>no Title page option, but there is a first page, is this what should
>be selected, or am I on the wrong track?

There is indeed no built-in Title Page page style - so this must be a
user-created style created earlier in the description of the example
you are following.

Brian Barker

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.
On 10/5/2016 9:59 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> Aaargh! Please don't involve new red herrings. Page numbering is
> controlled by *page styles*, not templates, not the clutch pedal, not
> the key of C# minor ...
Until page numbering was added to the template, page numbering didn't
work, so the template must be significant.

I would guess the vast majority of OO users, don't use master documents, and
would encounter similar problems if they tried.

Some simple answers should solve the problem.

 From the writers guide:

1) Open a new document from the template you created in Step 2,
by clicking New > Templates and Documents, then selecting
the template you created.

Be sure the first page of this new document is set to
the page style you want for the first page of the final
document; if it is not, change it.

Is this done by inserting a page break,
and selecting something from the menu?

In our example, the style for the first page is Title page.

There is no Title page option, but their is a first page,

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.
On 10/4/2016 6:05 PM, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
> The trick is to first set up the page styles.
Can a style be edited after it's used?
If so how is it done?

On the far left of the bottom command bar there's a toggle icon.
One view shows a list of files, the other functions.

At the top of the file list is an object called text.
The instructions implied the title, copyright, table of contents,
and preface are in this block.
The instructions said insert a manual break,
which brings up a list of three options, line break, column break, and
page break. I don't know what a column break does, but the instructions
said page break so it doesn't matter. At below the options is a pop down

Re: Page numbering

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gh...@sbcglobal.net>.

On 10/04/2016 04:17 PM, John Hart wrote:
> On 10/4/2016 12:12 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>>> Just because styles are powerful, doesn't mean they have to be hard
>>> to use.
>>> would bemost useful. Does such a document exist?

>>   See the file referenced in this posting for an overview of using Style
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=275320#p275320
>>
>> This document may also be informative:
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students
>> This latter document is "Writer for Students" (several languages)--
> Unfortunately they don't provide the information I need.
>
> The numbering system works until I insert pages in front of the body
> for the title, etc.
> Then every other page gets numbered, and if the number is odd, page
> numbering for
> the whole document is turned off.
>
> Is this a BUG in OO 3.3 that was fixed in later versions?
> If so, is there a workaround?
> If it's not a BUG,  what needs to be added to make it work..
> The manual discusses Roman Numeral numbering of the preface,
> and uses page break insertion options the version I'm using doesn't have.
>
> jrh

John,
Styles are your friend.
I have many documents that use Roman page numbers for the stuff in the
beginning pages (prefix) and Arabic page numbers for the body pages.
Also, my first page has no numbering, since it is a cover page.  The
trick is to first set up the page styles.  Once the page styles are
created, then these styles are displayed in the Manual page break
"Style" list.  For example, my first page is the "First Page" style
(duh).  The roman numeral page styles are "Left Prefix" and "Right
Prefix".  Each style's "Next Style" is set to the other style (Left or
Right), so it alternates as the document is written. The same with the
"Left Page" and "Right Page" page styles, which are set to use Arabic
numbers.  This number format is set under the Page Style "Page" tab
under "Layout settings" "Format".  Also, I set these pages to restart
page numbering so the body pages restart at 1, not continue from the
last roman numbered page.  I do this so I can print them separately and
save trees.  This restart can be done at the manual page break insertion
by selecting the "Change page number" checkbox and entering the new
start number in the box below.  Once the page styles are created, the
alternating page styles can be set in the page organizer from the "Next
Style" list. My "First Page" style lists "Left Prefix" as it's next
style, so that switch is done automatically.  However, to go from either
Prefix style to, say, "Right Page", one has to insert a page break
specifying the "Right Page" style from the page break.  This is not done
automatically and it is unrealistic to expect AOO to guess it.

Note that when, say, a left page style is created before the right style
exists, the not-yet-existing right page style will not appear in the
"Next Style" list.  I just select a placeholder (or leave the default)
to continue the style creation and after the correct Next Style exists,
I go back and change it.

Note also that the Left Page, Right Page and First Page styles are the
stock template styles, just slightly modified.  The only new ("Custom")
styles I created are the two "Prefix" styles.

Note also that I do not apply the "Default" page style.  All of my
applied styles are based on "Default", but none are Default.  I reserve
Default, since it is the root of all styles.  Changing it, changes all
styles that are based on it.

Hope this helps.
Girvin Herr

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 02:08:59 -0700
John Hart <jh...@testra.com> wrote:

> On 10/4/2016 6:57 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
> > Why use a legacy version? Is the bug that you have yet to upgrade
> > software from January 2011 which was rendered obsolete in May 2012?
> >
> I'm working on an obsolete computer with limited disk space,
> and it's a simple project that won't be using advanced features.
>

> > The 3.3 Writer Guide illustrates (on page 182) that the same options
> > are available in manual page breaks as in current versions (and as in
> > Illustration 20 in the Writer for Students manual). What are you not
> > seeing?
> I don't know the structure of the style process, or any familiarity with
> the tools. What 's intuitively obvious to you,
> will make little sense to me until I understand it.
>
> When I right click on a paragraph, I get a pop down menu with Default at
> the top, and a list of properties.
> I assume if they're changed, it changes the default, not a good idea.
>
> Towards the bottom is: Edit Paragraph Style...
>
> It brings up the style editor, which has more properties than the pop
> down, and a place for a name.
> If  the name is changed and the changes saved, I assume it will get
> added to the style list.
>
> In the editing screen there is an item that says: Next Style,  and the
> box has Default in it.
> I'm not sure what it's for, but it's obviously important.

That is the follow-on style that will be applied after using the first style; in my case I use the following sequence
Heading 1 (shows as Chapter nn)
Heading 2 (Chapter title)
Heading 3 (section title)
Heading 4 (date/time of the action in this section - this will ultimately be eliminated from the finished work)
FirstPara (paragraph style, using Drop caps, set with first line flush left)
Default (standard paragraph style)
Default (continuing until I use another Heading 1 for a new chapter)

> Below it is another item that says: Linked with, the box has None in it.
> I don't know what this does either.

"Linked with" allows a style to be based on another style; not always available.  Any changes made to the linked style may echo through to the new style.

> Below it is Category, Text Styles, grayed out,
> and below that a large box with the label: Contains, inside it, don't
> count lines.
>
> So what needs to be done to get page numbering, centering, and fonts for:
> The Title page,
> the Copyright notice,
> and the table of contents.
>
> I would like the table of contents to have page numbers for the chapters,
> and it would be nice to have the chapter names come from the documents.
> Is that easy to do?
>
> jrh

Initially use Heading 1 style for Chapter names.
Default setting for ToC displays the chapter names taken from the Heading 1 styles and the page numbers of the chapters.
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 14:54:19 -0700

Re: Page numbering

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.
On 03/10/2016 21:54, John Hart wrote:

> A list of style attributes, and a diagram of how they propagate would be most useful. Does such a document exist?

AFAIK, that doesn't exist for styles and templates that are included in
the default setup.

There are a couple of templates for which a separate document exists
that describes:
* each attribute of each style used in the template;
* what other styles are affected by an attribute change of a style;
* why each style was created;
* when to use each style;

jonathon

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gh...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 16:41:17 -0700

Re: Page numbering

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Re: Page numbering

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 02:08:43 -0700
John Hart <jh...@testra.com> wrote:

> Page numbering question:
>
> Is their a simple way to get page numbers at the bottom of the page?
> Inserting a page number worked, but following pages didn't inherit
> property. Do I have to create a footer and insert the page number into it?
>
> jrh

In the definition for the Page Style in use, click on the Footer tab and put a checkmark against Footer On. Then click in the box that appears at page bottom, enter a tab, then /insert /Field /Page number. That presupposes you need the page number centred, hence the tab.

See also the [Tutorial] Page numbering at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1221
for more detailed numbering information.

This document may be generally informative:
It is a guide to Writer for students (several languages)
on general formatting with OpenOffice, at