Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2015/09/19 19:15:28 UTC

The "right way" to Ship Software

<http://firstround.com/review/the-right-way-to-ship-software/>

This is an appealing article for developers mainly.  I think it is accessible to others on this list as well.

The TLDR;

   "As a rule of thumb, expensive software means
    Predictability is key while shipping.  Customers
    *need* your product.  If you have a lower (or no)
    Price tag, focus on [User Experience] UX.  Users
    Who don't need your product have to *want* it."

The question for us is, where in that range are we?  We're clearly toward the no pricetag side, but not entirely.  There is a need basis also, especially around the fact that predictability is a big deal with regard to the handling of digital documents across platforms.

Look at the whole article.  Where are we?  And then how does management of risk fit?

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    orcmid@apache.org
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail