Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/10/11 20:35:29 UTC

Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Hi,

I am working on pulling more projects in under the Gump umbrella, and just
asked Maven to generate all the Gump descriptors for the Fulcrum components.

These are now being added to the gump/project/jakarta-turbine-fulcrum.xml
module in Gump, which you all committers can modify.

Any help to get this in order is greatly appreciated.

Looking at it, I can see that there are cause for you to upgrade your POM
artifactIds, for instance for Avalon, Merlin and Logkit, which are no longer
accurate.

Anyway, this will take a while to get right, so don't fall off the chair when
Gump will hammer you with Nags.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 09:37, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> > > If you still think it is a bad idea, I can always revert the
> > > descriptor.
> >
> > Nah, bring it on, you thinking was good. :-)
>
> Amazing how unintentionally rude a dropped letter can be. "your". :-)

No problems, mate. AutoCorrrection is turned on... (and I don't see how it
would be rude anyway)...

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> > If you still think it is a bad idea, I can always revert the descriptor.
>
> Nah, bring it on, you thinking was good. :-)

Amazing how unintentionally rude a dropped letter can be. "your". :-)

regards

Adam

Re: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> If you still think it is a bad idea, I can always revert the descriptor.

Nah, bring it on, you thinking was good. :-)

Sure we'd all love to see Excalibur build (and thanks very much for your
help there), and we'd love to get to 100%, but I see not harm in bringing in
new good work.

regards

Adam

Re: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 05:23, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on pulling more projects in under the Gump umbrella
>
> Niclas,
>
> hmmm wouldn't it be better if we stabilized the ones we already have
> before bringing new ones in?

:o)

Well, I got somewhat stuck on bring Excalibur up (waiting for a patch to be
applied over there), and thought that;
1. All projects should be in Gump.
2. Fulcrum is not.
3. No other components depend on them, so it won't be a chain of problems.
4. The number of successes will not be lower.
5. They are Avalon based, so I have a pretty reasonable idea of what it will
take to get them buildable.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 18:30, Eric Pugh wrote:
> Can you supply some information on what we should change them to?  To be
> honest, I've kinda quit watching the Avalon related mailing lists for the
> past while.  But I guess, if we are going to participate in Gump builds
> (which is a *good* thing) then we need to start pacing the latest and
> greatest changes.

Great that you are interested in getting involved with Gump. :o)

Basically, your POM needs to correspond to <depend> elements in the Gump
descriptor file (gump/project/jakarta-turbine-fulcrum.xml in Gump CVS(!) ).

First I generated all the Gump descriptors using Maven's Gump goal, but that
gave me a lot of garbage. Then I took all of them out and added them
manually, from the POMs, but I agree that there are probably a lot of
inaccuracies.

I also need to make change among the dependencies in your POMs;

Most importantly;
avalon-framework*
  --> avalon-framework-api
  --> avalon-framework-impl
and that is probably 4.1.5 you want to use.

There are also plenty of others, but I can't recall them off hand.

Cheers
Niclas

P.S  BTW, I think Fulcrum needs to contact licensing@apache.org and clarify
the Hibernate dependency. IANAL, but it has been up elsewhere, and we are not
allowed to do "import " on any LGPL code. I don't know the licensing on other
external dependencies, but Hibernate has been up elsewhere before.
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 14 October 2004 00:29, Eric Pugh wrote:
> Hi..  I've gone through, and all your fixes look great!  Of course, now
> that we have updated, none of the Merlin based unit tests pass..  Or even
> run.. I am getting lots of these errors:

Btw, I *am* subscribed to the Turbine dev@ list since yesterday :o)  so no
need to CC me...

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

RE: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Yep - this is because of a change to the packaging on the unit test jar.
I have a variation of the project.xml that I'm testing locally that
fixes all of this.  I should have a patch for you within a day or so.
Just need to sync with the last set of changes and I'll post a diff.

Cheers, Steve.

RE: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Hi..  I've gone through, and all your fixes look great!  Of course, now that
we have updated, none of the Merlin based unit tests pass..  Or even run..
I am getting lots of these errors:

---- runtime exception
report --------------------------------------------------
Exception: org.apache.avalon.repository.RepositoryRuntimeException
Message: Could not create initial context.
----
cause ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Exception: org.apache.avalon.repository.RepositoryException
Message: None of the repositories
[http://www.dpml.net,http://www.ibiblio.org/maven,] contained the metadata
properties for artifact:avalon-repository/avalon-repository-impl#2.0.0
----
cause ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Exception: java.net.ConnectException
Message: Connection timed out: connect

Is this what you are having happen as well?  If not, can you send me your
errors so I can try and work through them?

Steve, I don't believe I need the avalon-repository-impl jars b/c merlin
will download them for me, correct?

Eric Pugh

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> On Tuesday 12 October 2004 18:40, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
> > I have no idea what you'd have to do to make it work with Maven.  I
> > don't believe there's been a release of beanutils that would reflect
> > this change, yet.
>
> The general rule is;
> The "project name" in the <depend> element of the Gump descriptor must
have
> the same literal characters as the <artifactId> or <id> (recommended to
> change to artifactId element) in the project.xml.

Almost right. Gump takes the id attribute on the <jar element to determine
the artifactId. If there isn't one, it taeks the jar anme and tries to turn
(say) [lib/]x[-@@DATE@@][.jar] into 'x' by removing (1) path (2) date (3)
extension, as needed.

> When that is NOT possible, i.e. not possible to change the Gump descriptor
> match the Maven artifactId,

It ought always be possible, IMHO.

regards,

Adam

Re: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>
> > a. The Xerces stuff I don't understand either... Adam?
>
> xml-xerces is Xerces-J 2 in Gump.  xml-xerces2 doesn't exist.  There
> is xml-xerces1, if you really want that.

Yeah, this is annoying. A fundamental difference in naming in Gump (which I
see is 'nice' for convenience) and in Maven. I guess we (1) set the jar id
to be Maven's artifactId (so use the '2' if needed) but (2) leave the Gump
descriptor using xerces w/o the 2. This means hand editing the Gump
descriptor after Maven has created it, but (reading Niclas' mails) it seems
that is needed anyway.

regards,

Adam

RE: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
well, it looks like it was removed, so the next gump run shouldn't fail on
the xml-xerces2 dependency.  I am off to lunch, hopefully it'll be done when
we get back!

Eric

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 19:16, Eric Pugh wrote:
> Okay..  Starting to get it!  So, I noticed that I got another batch of
> errors.  However, they still are freaking out about the xml-xerces2
> dependency.  However, I just checked the jakarta-turbine-fulcrum.xml and
> those entities where recently removed.  How long do I have to wait till the
> next run?  I see details on when it ran, but not when it will run again.

a. The Xerces stuff I don't understand either... Adam?

b. Next run is something like, the next full hour, one hour after the
completion of previous run. I.e. we have 1-2 hours of Gump not running
between runs.

> Also, fulcrum-security-nt requires on a jar called tagishauth.jar.  Should
> I create in /gump/project/tagishauth.xml file simiilar to the javamail.xml
> file?  However, I don't quite see where the jar would download from..  One
> of the standard repositories?

Nope, not artifacts. Either (preferred) we build them from its source CVS, or
if that is not feasible, they get installed on the Gump machine as a package.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> How long do I have to wait till the
> next run?  I see details on when it ran, but not when it will run again.

It is an inexact science. The more things build, the longer it takes. It
takes about 3-4 hours right now w/ so much building.

Basically if we are all working on a certain project/set I typically kick
off a test run to do just that stack. [One day (soon I hope) we hope to have
this available to the community, where you use a webapp to select 'focus
projects', and Gump does simple/quick builds on those only.]

regards

Adam

RE: Gump descriptors for Fulcrum components.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 12 October 2004 18:40, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> I have no idea what you'd have to do to make it work with Maven.  I
> don't believe there's been a release of beanutils that would reflect
> this change, yet.

The general rule is;
The "project name" in the <depend> element of the Gump descriptor must have
the same literal characters as the <artifactId> or <id> (recommended to
change to artifactId element) in the project.xml.

When that is NOT possible, i.e. not possible to change the Gump descriptor to

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
One more thing...   Scarab (scarab.tigris.org) uses an older branched
version of jakarta-turbine-fulcrum.  This produced a single large jar called
fulcrum.jar.  However, Fulcrum head, and the current item to integrate is a
series of seperate components.  So, I believe this means that we need to
create some sort of project dependency, similar to how projects depend on
mail.jar.

I don't think there is any real need to build this branched version of
Fulcrum as only jakarta-turbine-3 and scarab rely on it.  and turbine 3 is a
dead end development "spike" and Scarab is moving away from the branched to
the CVS HEAD version of fulcrum.

Eric

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Can you supply some information on what we should change them to?  To be
honest, I've kinda quit watching the Avalon related mailing lists for the
past while.  But I guess, if we are going to participate in Gump builds
(which is a *good* thing) then we need to start pacing the latest and
greatest changes.

I am working through the issues, and a couple have come up!
Fulcrum-Configuration-Impl[1] seems to be dying because of a
commons-beanutils dependency error.  I just updated the project.xml
formatting, and some references.  Do I need to do anything to get Gump to
pick up these changes?  And what does this error mean?  I notice in the gump
config file that there is a dependency on commons-beanutils-core.  Does that
mean I should be depending on that somehow in my project.xml?  Or, should I
update the dependency in the gump file to commons-beanutils from
commons-beanutils-core.

Also, looking for example at crypto-api [2] it looks like some dependencies
are missing.  Is this because they need to be built by the plugin?

Eric

[1]
http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/fulcrum-configu
ration-impl/index.html
[2]
http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/fulcrum-crypto-
api/gump_work/build_jakarta-turbine-fulcrum_fulcrum-crypto-api.html

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.