Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st> on 2001/07/11 13:10:37 UTC

actions and caching

I'm wondering how actions influence caching!?
Especially if one uses the result of an action
in the sitemap. I assume using an action makes
the result not cacheable?!
If so - can the action provide the caching
validity?
--
Torsten

RE: actions and caching

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
> > So actions will influence the caching if (and only if)
> > the result of an action is passed back as parameter
> > to e.g. a transformer who declares his dependency
> > on the parameter, right? So
> >
> >   <map:act type="myaction">
> >     <map:transform>
> >       <map:parameter name="param" value="{fromaction}"/>
> >     </map:tranform>
> >   </map:act>
> >
> > ..in the above example the cached object is invalid if
> > {fromaction} changes because it is used as parameter for
> > the transformer. If "param" (aka {fromaction}) does not
> > change the cached object will be delivered, right?
>
> Yes, in that sense.

Thanks :)
--
Torsten

RE: actions and caching

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> > > I'm wondering how actions influence caching!?
> >
> > They don't do directly.
> >
> > > Especially if one uses the result of an action
> > > in the sitemap. I assume using an action makes
> > > the result not cacheable?!
> >
> > The caching signature are composed of all the component that are building up the
> > pipeline. Each component states on which "names" it depends on (genKey method).
> > The validity of a component is determined of the values of those names
> > (genValidity method).
> >
> > If you can see now Action don't influence the caching behaviour of the pipeline
> > components directly. The pipeline components itself must state on what they
> > depend to the caching system.
>
> So actions will influence the caching if (and only if)
> the result of an action is passed back as parameter
> to e.g. a transformer who declares his dependency
> on the parameter, right? So
>
>   <map:act type="myaction">
>     <map:transform>
>       <map:parameter name="param" value="{fromaction}"/>
>     </map:tranform>
>   </map:act>
>
> ..in the above example the cached object is invalid if
> {fromaction} changes because it is used as parameter for
> the transformer. If "param" (aka {fromaction}) does not
> change the cached object will be delivered, right?

Yes, in that sense.

Giacomo

RE: actions and caching

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.