Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/28 15:33:44 UTC

Upload Maven bits was: Enable Nexus Access For NetBeans

Back to mailing list...

Looks like my attempt to upload org.netbeans.html and other org.netbeans
binaries to Maven repository hasn't succeeded. One of the reasons is that
Oracle hasn't donated NetBeans trademark and netbeans.org domain to Apache
yet. Surprising! I thought this was donated together with the 1st code
donation. Obviously it wasn't. At least we (as Oracle employees) have
something on to work on...

>     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16435?page=
> com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-
> tabpanel&focusedCommentId=16477884#comment-16477884 ]
>
> Chris Lambertus commented on INFRA-16435:
>
> Per discussion with Joel Orlina/Brian Fox/Sonatype, the existing Infra
> tooling for repository.a.o apparently does not allow for the standard
> staging/release process for coordinates outside of org.apache. I do not
> know how those other artifacts are being pushed or managed. This is not my
> area of expertise,

 ...looks like Chris cannot explain why artifacts in non-apache.org
namespace appear in the repository. But it is clear such artifacts can be
uploaded as https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/
proves. I guess the TODO for us (as the Apache gang) is to find out how
that is possible?

Once both TODOs (Oracle donates the domain and we find out how for example
freemarker appears on the Maven repo) are marked as done, we can request
help from infra again.

-jt

Re: Upload Maven bits was: Enable Nexus Access For NetBeans

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
Considering there is no public Apache NetBeans 9 that users may freely download it might be a very good idea that netbeans.org is still under Oracle control and users at least get to see some download button with an installer. (I would also be curious to see, at least on private@ some statistics for that download button while we still can).

Once we do have an Apache NetBeans 9 for users to download, including "convenience binaries" then we can say it makes perfect sense to want the whole netbeans.org domain too.

--emi