Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Neil Yalowitz <ne...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/16 23:53:30 UTC

crafting your key - scan vs. get

Hopefully this is a fun question.  :)

Assume you could architect an HBase table from scratch and you were
choosing between the following two key structures.

1)

The first structure creates a unique row key for each PUT.  The rows are
events related to a user ID.  There may be up to several hundred events for
each user ID (probably not thousands, an average of perhaps ~100 events per
user).  Each key would be made unique with a reverse-order-timestamp or
perhaps just random characters (we don't particularly care about using ROT
for sorting newest here).

key
----
AAAAAA + some-unique-chars

The table will look like this:

key                                   vals  cf:mycf                ts
AAAAAA9999...                 myval1                 1350345600
AAAAAA8888...                 myval2                 1350259200
AAAAAA7777...                 myval3                 1350172800

Retrieving these values will use a Scan with startRow and stopRow.  In
hbase shell, it would look like:

$ scan 'mytable',{STARTROW=>'AAAAAA', ENDROW=>'AAAAAA_'}

2)

The second structure choice uses only the user ID as the key and relies on
row versions to store all the events.  For example:

key                           vals   cf:mycf                     ts
AAAAAA                    myval1                       1350345600
AAAAAA                    myval2                       1350259200
AAAAAA                    myval3                       1350172800

Retrieving these values will use a Get with VERSIONS = somebignumber.  In
hbase shell, it would look like:

$ get 'mytable','AAAAAA',{COLUMN=>'cf:mycf', VERSIONS=>999}

...although this probably violates a comment in the HBase documentation:

"It is not recommended setting the number of max versions to an exceedingly
high level (e.g., hundreds or more) unless those old values are very dear
to you because this will greatly increase StoreFile size."

...found here: http://hbase.apache.org/book/schema.versions.html

So, are there any performance considerations between Scan vs. Get in this
use case?  Which choice would you go for?

Neil Yalowitz
neilyalowitz@gmail.com

Re: crafting your key - scan vs. get

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Neil,

I've pointed you in the right direction.
The rest of the exercise is left to the student. :-)

While you used the comment about having fun, your question is boring. *^1
The fun part is for you now to play and see why I may have suggested the importance of column order.

Sorry, but that really is the fun part of your question... figuring out the rest of the answer on your own.

From your response, you clearly understand it, but you need to spend more time wrapping your head around the solution and taking ownership of it.

Have fun,

-Mike

*^1  The reason I say that the question is boring is that once you fully understand the problem and the solution, you can easily apply it to other problems. The fun is in actually taking the time to experiment and work through the problem on your own. Seriously, that *is* the fun part.

Posted by Neil Yalowitz <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Neil,

Since you asked....
Actually your question is kind of a boring question. ;-) [Note I will probably get flamed for saying it, even if it is the truth!]

Having said that...
Boring as it is, its an important topic that many still seem to trivialize in terms of its impact on performance.

Before answering your question, lets take a step back and ask a more important question...
"What data do you to capture and store in HBase?"
and then ask yourself...
"How do I plan on accessing the data?"

From what I can tell, you want to track certain events made by a user.
So you're recording at Time X, user A did something.

Then the question is how do you want to access the data.

Do you primarily say "Show me all the events in the past 15 minutes and organize them by user?"
Or do you say "Show me the most recent events by user A" ?

Here's the issue.

If you are more interested and will frequently ask the question of "Show me the most recent events by user A",