Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2013/10/31 20:32:28 UTC

a UI for filtering tickets

We'd like to develop a UI for filtering tickets as a simple alternative to using
solr syntax.  This should be helpful for those that don't know solr syntax, and
easier than learning it, for the simple cases.

I did a quick in-browser mock of drop-downs for various fields, but it doesn't
look very clean, and it takes up a lot of room: http://screencast.com/t/uUL2VeLybg

Side note: existing elements in that area could be improved:
 * move "showing X of Y" to after the tickets, alongside pagination, like we do
on other places
 * move "show deleted tickets" to after search help button
 * make search text box even a little bigger

Since we probably only would show filter choices for the fields that have their
column shown, I was thinking perhaps we could put the filtering as part of the
column header.  This could save space by moving each drop-down filter into a
per-column dialog that is not shown by default.  It's also contextually relevant
to associate the fields with the columns.  I think this would end up very
similar to the auto-filter feature on most spreadsheets.

That would require more UI work for the dialog and its contents, filter icon in
header, etc.  Clicking on the column header currently sorts the column, so we'd
have to see if that still made sense or not.  I imagine the filters would append
new clauses to the solr query, but it might get real weird if we don't put in
the extra work to parse a given solr query to know what filtering is active.
https://github.com/evolvingweb/ajax-solr/ might be worth exploring.  Also
separating the user-entered query from the filter query would help some but
still would require some parsing.  Solr seems to support this concept of 2 query
params, but I haven't used it myself
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#fq

Thoughts?

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: a UI for filtering tickets

Posted by Wayne Witzel III <ww...@gmail.com>.
I guess my argument would be the average joe doesn’t really care or want to use the full power of solr. And providing a more intuitive UX that is familiar from every other site that does filtering hits a broader audience and I think has more overall value as a feature in Allura than a form view of solr options.

--
Wayne Witzel III (@wwitzel3)
wayne@pieceofpy.com

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Chris Tsai <ct...@slashdotmedia.com>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 11/8/13 6:12 AM, Igor Bondarenko wrote:
> I've started work on this.  First, I want to develop UI and then work from
> that.  I'm considering using jQuery multiselect widget to implement
> filtering for columns with a limited choice values. You can see examples of
> this widget here:
> http://www.erichynds.com/examples/jquery-ui-multiselect-widget/demos/#basic
>  It's functionality is pretty similar to that Google Spreadsheet
> filters
> provide.

Looks great to me.

> I see two ways to integrate this into table headers:
>
> 1. Remove current headers (and ability to sort by clicking on it) and stick
> multiselect instead with column name as displayed text.
>
> 2. Let headers remain as is (and with sorting ability), and customize
> multiselect to display only small icon to open the filter.
>
> (2) seems more user-friendly, but it can require more work to customize
> widget styles.
>
> What do you think about that?

I think the multiselect div will need more width than a column, so replacing the
column headers won't work.  2 sounds pretty good.  Another option would be that
clicking on the header opens a new div which contains both a sort up/down link
and also the multiselect.  Then you don't have to add an icon into the header
(space is very tight already, when you have many columns).

If we can avoid customizing the multiselect js & css, but just override things
and hook into events, that'll be best.  I don't think it's a legal problem to
modify an MIT dependency, but it'll be simplest if we don't :)

> Another issue is licensing. I see GPL and MIT licenses in widget's repo (
> https://github.com/ehynds/jquery-ui-multiselect-widget).  I suspect that
> MIT should be compatible to with Allura.  Am I right?

Yep.  Make sure you add a reference to it in our top-level LICENSE file and
Allura/LICENSE (we have both for the day when we start shipping each package on
pypi).  Those files have a list of jquery MIT-licensed extensions that you can
add to.  rat-excludes.txt will need to be updated also.

Posted by Igor Bondarenko <je...@gmail.com>.

--
Igor Bondarenko

Re: a UI for filtering tickets

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1

Posted by Wayne Witzel III <ww...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Witzel III <ww...@gmail.com>.
+1 to the idea of an easy to use filtering interface.

The example UI is a little confusing, with the search input above the filtering options, it also appears you have to re-submit the search after you add filtering options.
Looking at other sites, I see a common pattern for simple filtering (which compliments robust searching)

 - Obvious that a filter is being used.
 - Easy to clear filters
 - Single click to apply a filter

I see the example UI as just creating a UI around the solr syntax, but I think creating a more minimal UI and incorporating it in to / just below above the ticket listing header (like the Advanced filtering for browsing sf.net) is a better approach. It would be intuitive to the user and could auto-populate with only values that exist to be filtered. Avoiding typos in a label filter for example.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Daniel Hinojosa <dh...@slashdotmedia.com>.
+1

--
*Daniel Hinojosa*
*Community Manager, SourceForge / Slashdot Media*