Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2016/10/01 13:08:53 UTC

AW: [DISCUSS] Switch the site repo to GIT?

Ok so it turns out that as long as we use the Apache CMS we can't change to GIT. Guess this was the reason for still being on GIT.

I have no idea what we really need the CMS for, but as long as we need this, we seem to be stuck there :-(

Chris

________________________________
Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok so I did a little searching:

It seems that in general if you setup a git repo and define an "asf-site" branch in that (of course have Infra register the repo in their system), stuff pushed to that branch is automatically published as website.

I just tested it, the maven site plugin is able to produce html from:

- APT (don't know that)

- XDoc (don't know that)

- Markdown

- FML (don't know that)

- Asciidoctor (After adding the plugin)

So we could write our content in any of these formats.

I found this very helpful page of a fellow Apache project [1].

They said, that Markdown had the advantage of allowing inline HTML. So I understand that this could be ideal for the parts of the site where we need detailed control over the HTML.

Asciidoctor has the advantage of allowing more features (inline graphs and diagrams just to state one thing I really like). So this could be ideal for the parts where we need features over control of the HTML.

So why not simply allow to use both?

I have done some searching and I'd like to propose something:

1. We create a new git repo for the site

2. I setup a maven site project inside that

3. I configure the build to allow multiple types of content

        - Markdown (same as github pages)

        - Asciidoctor

4. I configure the build to deploy the site to the "asf-site" branch of the same repo

5. We have infra setup the gitpubsub system to stage that somewhere so we can test it

6. We do the Content migration, CSS, HTML fine tuning till we're happy with it

7. We make the new site the official site.

Would that be an option?

Chris

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Modify+Web+Site

________________________________
Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I would suggest to simply let people use the tool they want to use.

I guess both with Jekyll and the maven-site-plugin all "test.md" files will end up as "test.html" files, just the same way a "test.adoc" would become the same "test.html" file.

I wouldn't put up any hard restriction on this. But that's just my opinion.

Currently I would like to take the discussion to the tool for generating the website and here I would strongly prefer the maven-site-plugin, cause it would allow us to integrate the sub-project parts into the rest of the website seamlessly. Every sub-project could provide parts of the total website structure and would work and look the same way.

Chris

________________________________
Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.