Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Scott Smith <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/09 20:47:40 UTC

Flat and shared module layout question

Hello all,

I have recently joined a team that develops 6 j2ee applications for
deployment as EAR files to a server. These apps use several shared
modules. I am trying to configure them to use Maven2 to do the builds
but having trouble understanding how to properly configure the poms.

All modules live at the same levels. Most are JAR modules that are
bundled into the EAR.

Application1_workdir - Application1_Release_v.1.2.12
    -- mainApp_1.EAR module - scm - /home/repo/modulename
       -- pom.xml - <packaging>ear
    -- shared_moduleOne - scm - /home/repo_2/modulename
       -- pom.xml - <packaging>jar
    -- shared_moduleTwo - scm - /home/repo/modulename
       -- pom.xml - <packaging>jar
   ..... (n) number of modules ...

Application2_workdir - Application2_Release_v.2.1.0.3
    -- mainApp_2.EAR module - scm - /home/repo_3/modulename
       -- pom.xml - <packaging>ear
    -- shared_moduleOne - scm - /home/repo_2/modulename
       -- pom.xml - <packaging>jar
    -- shared_moduleTwo - scm - /home/repo/modulename
       -- pom.xml - <packaging>jar
    -- shared_moduleThree - scm - /home/diff_repo/modulename
       -- pom.xml - <packaging>jar
    -- private_module - scm - /home/diff_repo/modulename
       -- pom.xml - <packaging>jar
   ..... (n) number of modules ...

There currently is not a master parent pom.xml at the workdir level.
Generally we label across the board at the application name level all
the modules with that tag when releasing.

I know this is a mess but you just inherit stuff sometimes. I have
tried to grok the info in several tutorials but non seem to match up
very nicely to my issue.
--
Scott