Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Kwirirai <kw...@ibsdev.africaonline.co.zw> on 2002/12/13 03:45:31 UTC

Error Compiling AvalonMailRepository James 2.1a1-cvs

Sorry guys!
I am still new , but I really want to experiment and get a full
understanding of how James file repository works,
 ever since I discovered that James 2.0a1 could not handle many mails in
its repository
(usually when you have more than a thousand mails in your inbox)
At the moment I am having some trouble compiling the latest James build
which I downloaded
I am using the jar files in \lib , I am not really sure which jars I
should use. With James 2.0a1 the jars are already there.
1.It seems like the available  cornerstone jar is not the one to use
2.the Avalon jar containing the frame work does not correspond with the
code

Could you tell me the accurate jars to use for this build .

When compiling I get the following  error message. I have tried
everything including adding every jar file in the source

C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:10: package org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.store does not
exist
import org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.store.ObjectRepository;
                                                    ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:11: package org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.store does not
exist
import org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.store.Store;
                                                    ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:12: package org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.store does not
exist
import org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.store.StreamRepository;
                                                    ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:14: warning: org.apache.avalon.framework.component.Component in
org.apache.avalon.framework.component has been deprecated
import org.apache.avalon.framework.component.Component;
                                             ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:15: warning:
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException in
org.apache.avalon.framework.component has been deprecated
import org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException;
                                             ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:16: warning:
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentManager in
org.apache.avalon.framework.component has been deprecated
import org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentManager;
                                             ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:17: warning: org.apache.avalon.framework.component.Composable in
org.apache.avalon.framework.component has been deprecated
import org.apache.avalon.framework.component.Composable;
                                             ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:47: warning: org.apache.avalon.framework.component.Component in
org.apache.avalon.framework.component has been deprecated
    implements MailRepository, Component, Configurable, Composable,
Initializable {
                               ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:47: warning: org.apache.avalon.framework.component.Composable in
org.apache.avalon.framework.component has been deprecated
    implements MailRepository, Component, Configurable, Composable,
Initializable {
                                                        ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:57: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class Store
location: class org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository
    private Store store;
            ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:58: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class StreamRepository
location: class org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository
    private StreamRepository sr;
            ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:59: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ObjectRepository
location: class org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository
    private ObjectRepository or;
            ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:67: warning:
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentManager in
org.apache.avalon.framework.component has been deprecated
    public void compose( final ComponentManager componentManager )
                               ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:68: warning:
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException in
org.apache.avalon.framework.component has been deprecated
            throws ComponentException {
                   ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:67: warning:
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentManager in
org.apache.avalon.framework.component has been deprecated
    public void compose( final ComponentManager componentManager )
                               ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:69: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class Store
location: class org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository
        store = (Store)componentManager.
                 ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:116: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class StreamRepository
location: class org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository
            sr = (StreamRepository) store.select(streamConfiguration);
                  ^
C:\jamessrc\src\java\org\apache\james\mailrepository\AvalonMailRepositor
y.java:117: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ObjectRepository
location: class org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository
            or = (ObjectRepository) store.select(objectConfiguration);
                  ^
9 errors
9 warnings

Kwirirai

RE: Error Compiling AvalonMailRepository James 2.1a1-cvs

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
Aaron and Kwirirai,

> Kwirirai is dead right.  Neither of the "latest" James code drops
> (james-with-phoenix or without) have the necessary phoenix libs in
them.
>   I downloaded them and dropped in the entire phoenix-bin directory
from
> cvs and it now builds fine for me.  (Both of them work fine after this
> treatment.)

He most certainly is.  Ouch.  That bug in the dist has been sitting in
CVS since Paul redid Phoenix over the summer.

> I don't know how much of that is strictly necessary, but you certainly
> need more than is distributed in either of the src drops.

For the source without Phoenix only the phoenix-bin/lib directory is
necessary.  With Phoenix obviously you need the whole shebang.

Thanks to both of you for exposing this rather embarrassing bug - all of
us use CVS and I guess it never occurred to any of us that the dist
would have been corrupted.  Anyway, I'm fixing now and should have a new
milestone source distribution posted shortly.

--Peter

RE: Error Compiling AvalonMailRepository James 2.1a1-cvs

Posted by Kwirirai <kw...@ibsdev.africaonline.co.zw>.
Thanks to All
I downloaded the updated build and everything is fine .
Kwirirai

Documentation

Posted by Alan Gerhard <al...@GerCom.Com>.
peter -

i believe that on anchor on line 17 of the "adding_users_2_1.xml" that reads

should be replaced with the following ..

that is, if the intent was to direct the flow to remote manager configuration.

alan

RE: Error Compiling AvalonMailRepository James 2.1a1-cvs

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
All,

I revamped the build.xml so that all targets will work with the more
limited source distribution.  The new source distributions have been
posted.

--Peter

Re: Error Compiling AvalonMailRepository James 2.1a1-cvs

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.

Peter M. Goldstein wrote:
> Please let me know if this doesn't resolve your
> problems.  Thanks.

A quick test of both new src distributions shows build successful for
the 'with-phoenix' dist.  Without phoenix has an error in build.xml
(line 175), where it will try to do a fixcrlf on dist/bin, which has not
yet been created.

Here is a working version.

Cheers

ADK

RE: Error Compiling AvalonMailRepository James 2.1a1-cvs

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
All,

Ok.  The build.xml is updated.  New source distributions have been
placed in the "latest" distribution directory.  The java source for
these is unchanged from the associated binaries (specifically, Noel's
patch isn't applied).  Please let me know if this doesn't resolve your
problems.  Thanks.

--Peter

Re: Error Compiling AvalonMailRepository James 2.1a1-cvs

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.
Noel,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.