Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/06/18 04:56:29 UTC

SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

hi all --

it's time to broaden the pool of 3.1.0 testing -- so here's a prerelease.
It's functionally quite close to what 3.1.0 will be, although we haven't
yet done the rescoring mass-checks and Perceptron run, and there
may be one or two more patches going in before the full release.

We'd really appreciate it if you could take this for a spin and
(possibly) spot any issues...

It should be *quite* stable, but it hasn't seen much action in really
large sites yet, so a little caution is advisable.

you may have to wait for a mirror update before the files appear, it
seems!

md5sum of archive files:
  64ec405b8ac4c49209fe2be199c9adcf  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.tar.bz2
  612987472203c85b34ac0f9715fe4dd0  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.tar.gz
  726bad32f42715c2256ef4ab90747641  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.zip

sha1sum of archive files:
  00c05495f146e0fcfaecad29a86d83be4e34c8ce  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.tar.bz2
  a9bd82d9eeb92e127e14a1f0066699004544923b  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.tar.gz
  fce976b6ff153de29b45639538e5fab65d0474c1  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.zip

(ps: also, if you're planning to submit mass-check results, now's the
time to start getting those corpora in order! details on the wiki.)

(pps: devs, I left the IS_DEVEL_BUILD line uncommented deliberately.
it is one. ;)

--j.

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org> writes:

> Please don't use the pre-release on a production server
> (obviously). Since the scores haven't been adjusted, you will likely
> get FPs or FNs beyond what you would usually expect.

I have to disagree with you on this one, Duncan.  I haven't run the test
yet for 3.1, but FP/FN rate has always been *better* than the old
release even *before* running the perceptron to optimize the rules.

Running on a production server takes some guts, though, but most of the
SA developers have been using it on their own personal email servers for
months.  ;-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.
On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 10:05:09PM -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Friday, June 17, 2005 7:56 PM -0700 Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> wrote:

> How about including a link on the regular download page to the devel page?
> I usually go there first when looking for a new version. It should probably
> go near the end, but before "Old releases".

Well, arguably, if you're not on one of the mailing lists, you
shouldn't be installing this. :-)

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Friday, June 17, 2005 7:56 PM -0700 Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> wrote:

How about including a link on the regular download page to the devel page?
I usually go there first when looking for a new version. It should probably
go near the end, but before "Old releases".

(I liken this to Mozilla's Releases page <http://www.mozilla.org/releases/>
where betas are listed after the current release.)

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 05:03:27PM -0500, Alex S Moore wrote:
> >>I cannot find where to put the dcc user options like dcc_dccifd_path.
> >>If I leave them in <sysconfdir>/local.cf, I get info messages about
> >>skipping dcc.
>
> Yes, I did enable the DCC plugin.  Running spamassassin with the debug
> option shows that DCC cannot be found.
>
> I understand and agree with your choice to disable by default.  The
> problem is that I do not know where to define critical options to run DCC.

local.cf is still the place to specify options.  What exactly is shown when
running in debug mode?

If you run "spamassassin -D --lint", you should see something like:

[...]
[29738] dbg: config: read file /etc/mail/spamassassin/v310.pre
[...]
[29751] dbg: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC from @INC
[29751] dbg: dcc: network tests on, registering DCC
[29751] dbg: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DCC=HASH(0x1eb74f0)

If there are actual errors, I'd look to make sure the install was
completed successfully, permissions are set right, etc.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Energizer Bunny Arrested -- Charged with Battery.

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Alex S Moore <as...@edge.net>.
Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:11:43AM -0500, Alex S Moore wrote:
>
>>I cannot find where to put the dcc user options like dcc_dccifd_path.
>>If I leave them in <sysconfdir>/local.cf, I get info messages about
>>skipping dcc.
>

> Did you enable the DCC plugin?  Due to license issues with DCC, we had to
> disable the plugin by default.

Yes, I did enable the DCC plugin.  Running spamassassin with the debug
option shows that DCC cannot be found.

I understand and agree with your choice to disable by default.  The
problem is that I do not know where to define critical options to run DCC.

Thanks, Alex

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:11:43AM -0500, Alex S Moore wrote:
> I cannot find where to put the dcc user options like dcc_dccifd_path.
> If I leave them in <sysconfdir>/local.cf, I get info messages about
> skipping dcc.

Did you enable the DCC plugin?  Due to license issues with DCC, we had to
disable the plugin by default.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"They were printing out the damn bible ... Jesus Christ!" - Matt

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Alex S Moore <as...@edge.net>.
Justin Mason wrote:
> hi all --
>
> it's time to broaden the pool of 3.1.0 testing -- so here's a prerelease.
> It's functionally quite close to what 3.1.0 will be, although we haven't
> yet done the rescoring mass-checks and Perceptron run, and there
> may be one or two more patches going in before the full release.

Thanks for this Justin.

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Monday 20 June 2005 00:57 CET Duncan Findlay wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 11:38:15PM +0200, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> > What do you think if we just named the release tags x.y.z-foo where foo
> > is the version_tag we added for prereleases, release candidates,
> > whatever. Ie. whatever
> >   spamassassin --version | head -n 1 | cut -d' ' -f3
> > says.
>
> +1
>
> > The other tags we currently have we can just drop IMO.
>
> Or rename -- we don't want to lose info.

Oh, I did not want to remove the release tags (including prereleases), just
do an svn mv on them so they fit in.  But which we don't need any more are
IMO:
CORPORA_SUBMIT_VERSION_2_5_0_CHECK1/
CORPORA_SUBMIT_VERSION_2_5_0_CHECK2_1/
CORPORA_SUBMIT_VERSION_2_5_0_FIRST/
b2_4_0_back_merge_to_HEAD_1/
help/
merged_from_b2_4_0/
start/

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Sunday, June 19, 2005 9:42 PM -0400 Theo Van Dinter
<fe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sure.  It just clutters up the tags dir.  <shrug>  :)

Create a tags/legacy directory and move all the old ones there.

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 08:50:06PM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> On the other hand, theres essentially no cost to leaving them.

Sure.  It just clutters up the tags dir.  <shrug>  :)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Bender: OK, but I don't want anyone thinking we're robosexuals.

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 06:57:35PM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> > The other tags we currently have we can just drop IMO.
> Or rename -- we don't want to lose info.

IMO, after we do a release, we could clear out the pre and rc tags.
It's doubtful anyone would reference those ever again, and it's easy
enough to look at the svn log and get the revision to checkout if they
did want one.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"To win, you must treat a pressure situation as an opportunity to succeed,
 not an opportunity to fail." - Gardner Dickinson

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Sunday 19 June 2005 22:03 CET Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 09:04:28PM +0200, Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> > The tag is also missing.
>
> ?
>
> $ svn ls http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/tags
> [...]
> spamassassin_prerelease_3_1_0_pre_1/

Oh.  I just looked at the end of the list, the 3.0 prereleases were tagged
as "_release_", too.  I think we should get some kind of schma into the tag
naming.  We now have, alphabetically:
[..]
spamassassin_pre_2_4_0b/
spamassassin_prerelease_3_1_0_pre_1/
spamassassin_release_1_4_0/
[...]
spamassassin_release_3_0_0_pre1/
spamassassin_release_3_0_0_pre2/
spamassassin_release_3_0_0_pre_3/
spamassassin_release_3_0_0_pre_4/
spamassassin_release_3_0_0_rc4/
spamassassin_release_3_0_0_rc_1/
spamassassin_release_3_0_0_rc_2/
spamassassin_release_3_0_0rc3/

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.

?

$ svn ls http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/tags
[...]
spamassassin_prerelease_3_1_0_pre_1/

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"The question is to what extent parasites like Microsoft should be parasites
 off the public system, or should be granted any rights at all."
                                                       - Noam Chomsky

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Sunday 19 June 2005 07:44 CET Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> >   64ec405b8ac4c49209fe2be199c9adcf  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.tar.bz2
>
> One question: how did the '-' between '0' and 'p' get left out?

The tag is also missing.

Cheers,
Malte

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.

Posted by The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>.
On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 07:56:29PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> hi all --
>
> it's time to broaden the pool of 3.1.0 testing -- so here's a prerelease.
> It's functionally quite close to what 3.1.0 will be, although we haven't
> yet done the rescoring mass-checks and Perceptron run, and there
> may be one or two more patches going in before the full release.
>
> We'd really appreciate it if you could take this for a spin and
> (possibly) spot any issues...
>
> It should be *quite* stable, but it hasn't seen much action in really
> large sites yet, so a little caution is advisable.

> you may have to wait for a mirror update before the files appear, it
> seems!
>
> md5sum of archive files:
>   64ec405b8ac4c49209fe2be199c9adcf  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.tar.bz2
>   612987472203c85b34ac0f9715fe4dd0  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.tar.gz
>   726bad32f42715c2256ef4ab90747641  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.zip
>
> sha1sum of archive files:
>   00c05495f146e0fcfaecad29a86d83be4e34c8ce  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.tar.bz2
>   a9bd82d9eeb92e127e14a1f0066699004544923b  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.tar.gz
>   fce976b6ff153de29b45639538e5fab65d0474c1  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0pre1.zip
>

> (ps: also, if you're planning to submit mass-check results, now's the
> time to start getting those corpora in order! details on the wiki.)
>
> (pps: devs, I left the IS_DEVEL_BUILD line uncommented deliberately.
> it is one. ;)
>
> --j.

Any new tests available?

--
Member - Liberal International
This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca	Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
The Doctor wrote:

>Failure!!  It does not work with milter-spamc older version.
>
>THAT needs to be fixed.  I refer to the last milter-spamc  which was free.

<SARCASM>

Thank you for the very thorough bug report about his problem.  It has
all of the details needed to diagnose and fix the problem right away.

</SARCASM>

Michael

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Michael Parker wrote:
> Ed Kasky wrote:
>
>> Also one other question why does "make test" skip t/bayessql by default?  I
>> have a working bayes sql data base.
>
> Because not everyone has it set up.  See t/config.dist and create a
> t/config.  It will also help avoid having to answer the setup questions
> each time perl Makefile.PL is run.

Now that's just way too obvious....

That worked for testing the sql bayes.  Thanks.
t/bayessql..................ok

I am stil lost on the Net::Ident error though.  Any idea if it's  anything
to worry about if I am not utilizing SSL between spamc and spamd?

Ed
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Randomly generated quote:
Everyone has a right to be stupid.  Some just abuse the privilege.

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
On Friday 17 June 2005 19:56, Justin Mason wrote:

> We'd really appreciate it if you could take this for a spin and
> (possibly) spot any issues...

Didn't actually take it for a spin yet but noticed the following in running
makefile on a RH 7.2 server:

checking module dependencies and their versions...
Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/Net/Ident.pm line 29.

The tests for Net::Ident 1.20 produced the same result.  The only reference I
could find regarding this error is that the module hasn't been updated since
1999 and the tests fail as a result.  Don't know if it's the age of my os or
what just yet....

Also one other question why does "make test" skip t/bayessql by default?  I
have a working bayes sql data base.

Ed

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Randomly generated quote:
The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything,
the young know everything. -Oscar Wilde

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
I installed on CentOS which I have never done before. Everything is okay
except for one thing. I get

[28414] warn: config: warning: description exists for non-existent rule
HASHCASH_HIGH

+ 7 ever HASHCASH rule warnings in --lint

all the other output is exactly like on my other non-CentOS systems.

Hashcash is disabled and there's no such rule in /etc/mail/spamassassin.
grep in /usr/share/spamassassin shows the following output which seems to
be quite ok:

25_hashcash.cf:header HASHCASH_HIGH
eval:check_hashcash_value('26', '9999')
25_hashcash.cf:tflags HASHCASH_HIGH          nice userconf
25_hashcash.cf:describe HASHCASH_HIGH        Contains valid Hashcash token
(>25 bits)
30_text_de.cf:lang de describe HASHCASH_HIGH Enthält korrekte
Hashcash-Kennzeichnung (> 25 bits)
50_scores.cf:score HASHCASH_HIGH -5.000

Where's that warning coming from?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>Ok, make test was okay. Before make install I ran a "./spamassassin -D --lint" and
>wonder about the following:
>
>- dbg: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash
>
>Hashcash is commented out in our init.pre!

There is a new .pre file, I think it's v310.pre, you'll need to comment
it out of there as well and removing it from init.pre all togther is
probably the way to go.  This is something that needs to be addressed in
the UPGRADE file (see below).

>- warn: config: failed to parse, now a plugin, skipping: ok_languages en de fr en pt
>
>how to activate that plugin?

See v310.pre and uncomment.

>- UPGRADE says "Note for Users Upgrading from SpamAssassin 3.0.x" and then follows a
>list of hints for upgrading from 2.6 TO 3.0.x.

The UPGRADE file still needs some work.  In fact, if someone wanted to
start a wiki page or even better open a bug and start providing
items/patches for UPGRADE that would be VERY helpful.

>- the score for that lint is quite high (2.351) compared to the score coming from
>the installed sa (- 1.9). Could this be better once it's actually installed (and
>/usr/share/spamassassin overwritten with new scores)? With such a high score I'm
>reluctant to test it in production (though it's only for our own mail on that
>machine).

3.1 has not had a scoring run yet, that is coming soon, so scores are
likely to be a little wonky for a bit.

Michael

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0pre1 PRERELEASE available!