Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Sander W G van der Waal <sa...@oucs.ox.ac.uk> on 2009/12/18 13:38:20 UTC

Wookie training day @ Oxford, UK

Hi all,

OSS Watch would like to organise a Wookie training day in Oxford, UK
for developers who are interested in Wookie and who want to get
hands-on experience with it. People who wish to attend the
training day are expected to also attend the Dev8D days [1]. The
reason behind this is that we want to hold a hackathon there,
either to do cool stuff with Wookie or to help others wanting
to learn about Wookie - depending on what Dev8D attendees want.

The training event can take place at OSS Watch's office at OUCS in
Oxford and we aim at an estimated audience of 10-15 developers.
I understood that Sott Wilson and the Bolton team are planning on
providing the Wookie training for us.

Because of tight schedules I provisionally booked a room for
Tuesday 2 February 2010. Scott, are you and your team available on
that date?

OSS Watch will pay expenses for UK based developers for both the Wookie
training and the Dev8D (although please note we will only be providing
hostel accommodation at Dev8D).

If there are any non-UK developers wanting to attend please contact OSS
Watch privately (info@oss-watch.ac.uk) and make a case for yourself. We
make no promises, but we may be able to help. If there are any companies
who would like to sponsor the event to allow more attendees or non-UK
attendees please contact us and we'll work something out to ensure you
get some visibility at both the training day and Dev8D.

Please post any thoughts or ideas you have to make this training day
a success.

Thanks,

Sander van der Waal

[1] http://www.dev8d.org/

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

RE: Wookie training day @ Oxford, UK

Posted by Sander W G van der Waal <sa...@oucs.ox.ac.uk>.

I made some minor changes to the schedule to get a bit
more setup time for the initial practical session, while
shortening the morning break.
I also added a mid-afternoon break, after which we can decide
to either hack some more before demoing or demo rightaway.
This is then the revised schedule:

09:30 Coffee, registration
10:00 Presentation: Intro to Wookie (Scott Wilson)
10:30 Practical Session: Building a basic widget using Open StreetMaps (Ross Gardler)
11:15 Break
11:30 Practical Sesssion: Building a ToDo widget (Scott Wilson)
12:30 Lunch
13:30 Practical Session: Building your first widget
15:00 Break
15:15 Widget demonstrations (all)
16:00 Close and Pub

> > Scott, how many of your team will be able to come to Oxford on the
> > 11th of February? Ross indicated that his knowledge of
> Wookie does not
> > go far beyond the basics, which means that we will need at
> least one
> > more Wookie-guru besides yourself to give proper support to
> a group of
> > 10-15 developers.
>
> I'll ask around, I'm sure I can prod some colleagues. It may
> also be worth promoting this on public-webapps@w3.org

Scott, can you give an estimate as to how many people you expect
to bring (besides the known list on the Wave)? I need the numbers
to book for lunch etc.

Thanks, Sander

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 05/01/2010 16:43, Scott Wilson wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2010, at 16:35, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> Looking good, Sander!
>>
>> If you are OK with the idea of me getting people to build a simple
>> widget and then you expanding on it in the second practical session we
>> ought to compare notes and ensure whatever code I leave folk with is
>> easy for you to pick up in the second stage.
>>
>> I was thinking that we could create a ToDo widget that talks to a
>> service such as http://www.toodledo.com, is this OK with you?
>
> Yes - actually ToDo is an interesting one as you can go in two different
> directions; either a single-user widget using ToodleDo service, or a
> collaborative widget with shared to-do list using the Wave API feature.

Excellent. That provides a sensible cut off point since my knowledge
stops at the Wave stuff. I'll do a basic single user todo using ToodleDo
(just CRUD operations).

You can then add wave features.

>> I suggest we talk about exactly what the final result will look like
>> offline and then decide at which point I should hand stop the
>> practical and you should take over. I'll start the ball rolling ASAP
>> so that I can give you the initial code (via our SVN of course).
>
> Sounds good to me.

I'll send a more complete outline soon.

Ross

Re: Wookie training day @ Oxford, UK

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 5 Jan 2010, at 16:35, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 05/01/2010 16:25, Scott Wilson wrote:
>>
>> On 5 Jan 2010, at 16:02, Sander W G van der Waal wrote:
>>
>>> As mentioned just before the holidays the Apache Wookie (Incubating)
>>> training day is on Thursday 11 February in Oxford, UK.
>>>
>>> Hereby the provisional schedule, which is open for suggestions:
>>
>> Looking good, Sander!
>
> If you are OK with the idea of me getting people to build a simple
> widget and then you expanding on it in the second practical session
> we ought to compare notes and ensure whatever code I leave folk with
> is easy for you to pick up in the second stage.
>
> I was thinking that we could create a ToDo widget that talks to a
> service such as http://www.toodledo.com, is this OK with you?

Yes - actually ToDo is an interesting one as you can go in two
different directions; either a single-user widget using ToodleDo
service, or a collaborative widget with shared to-do list using the
Wave API feature.

> I suggest we talk about exactly what the final result will look like
> offline and then decide at which point I should hand stop the
> practical and you should take over. I'll start the ball rolling ASAP
> so that I can give you the initial code (via our SVN of course).

Sounds good to me.

>>> Scott, how many of your team will be able to come to Oxford on
>>> the 11th of February? Ross indicated that his knowledge of Wookie
>>> does not go far beyond the basics, which means that we will need
>>> at least one more Wookie-guru besides yourself to give proper
>>> support
>>> to a group of 10-15 developers.
>>
>> I'll ask around, I'm sure I can prod some colleagues. It may also be
>> worth promoting this on public-webapps@w3.org
>
> Sure, go for it.
>
>>> Regarding documentation, we need to decide whether it is feasible
>>> to have more docs available by the 11th of February and whether it's
>>> worthwhile to create a delegate pack from it. What do you think?
>>
>> Its probably a good prod for me to revisit the widget tutorial in
>> SVN -
>> I think it could do with updating.
>
> Excellent idea, lets get it into the wiki.
>
> You can do that while I write the initial skeleton code for the
> widget, then we can swap over. In other words, you should focus on
> the bits beyond "building a hello world widget" if there is such a
> section.

OK, will do

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Uploading widgets to a running server (was Re: Wookie training day @ Oxford, UK)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 05/01/2010 16:02, Sander W G van der Waal wrote:
> Ross has volunteered to create a CD for the developers to make a Wookie
> dev environment available. He also told me that the functionality
> to upload a widget to the Wookie server is not fully implemented
> yet. I can't find an issue for it so maybe I'm mistaken, but in any
> case it would be great if we can share the widgets between the coders
> on the day.

There's no issue because it came to mind during our meeting.

I was thinking that it might be nice to have a demo server of Wookie
running for this event. Participants can then upload their widgets to
that server for the final "show and tell" session.

As far as I can tell the key functionality is there, that is we have a
watched folder. What is needed is a file upload facility to that folder.

Given the potential for mischief we probably want to put that behind the
admin interface.

I've created one now and will try and implement it in time for the
training workshop (although I've actually scheduled it for 0.8.2 in case
I don't make it in time).

Of course, anyone who fancied giving it a go is welcome to do so.

Ross

Posted by Sander W G van der Waal <sa...@oucs.ox.ac.uk>.
As mentioned just before the holidays the Apache Wookie (Incubating)
training day is on Thursday 11 February in Oxford, UK.

Hereby the provisional schedule, which is open for suggestions:
09:30 Coffee
10:00 Presentation: Intro to Wookie (Scott Wilson)
      Couple of slides to introduce the project and what it does
10:30 Practical Session: Building a basic widget using Open StreetMaps (Ross Gardler)
      All practical sessions are intended to be interactive and
      let all participants code along with the session presenter;
      this first one to get started with a simple widget
11:00 Break
11:30 Practical Sesssion: Building a ToDo widget (Scott Wilson)
      Building a less basic widget
12:30 Lunch
13:30 Practical Session: Building your first widget (all)
      Use your wildest imagination to create/wrap your favourite
      app in a W3C widget
15:30 Widget demonstrations (all)
16:00 Close and Pub

If you are interested in building W3C compliant widgets using Wookie
and would like to come to the training day in Oxford to code with us
please reply to the list. As mentioned earlier, OSS Watch will pay
expenses for UK travellers who will also be able to come to the Dev8D
hackathon.

We think about setting up an IRC channel in case people would like
to join in online. If you read this and are interested in participating
remotely, please reply.

Scott, how many of your team will be able to come to Oxford on
the 11th of February? Ross indicated that his knowledge of Wookie
does not go far beyond the basics, which means that we will need
at least one more Wookie-guru besides yourself to give proper support
to a group of 10-15 developers.

Regarding documentation, we need to decide whether it is feasible
to have more docs available by the 11th of February and whether it's
worthwhile to create a delegate pack from it. What do you think?

Ross has volunteered to create a CD for the developers to make a Wookie
dev environment available. He also told me that the functionality
to upload a widget to the Wookie server is not fully implemented
yet. I can't find an issue for it so maybe I'm mistaken, but in any
case it would be great if we can share the widgets between the coders
on the day.

Regards,

Sander van der Waal

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Thanks for replying so quickly Scott.
I managed to reschedule to Thursday 11 February.

Sander

Re: Wookie training day @ Oxford, UK

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.