Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ryan Thoma <rt...@auditintegrity.com> on 2003/05/21 20:11:34 UTC

Cocoon Caching: Can I Config Caching on a 2nd Drive for Very Large Files?

Hello all,

First off, I'm fairly new to Cocoon, but I'm VERY impressed!  Great job
Cocoon contributors!

I have a couple questions on configuring Cocoon Caching (note: I'm
running on Cocoon 2.1 Dev).

1) I would like cocoon to cache all files out to a 2nd drive (i.e. not
the one that cocoon is installed and running on).  Is this possible?
How to I config this?

2) What is the best way to tell cocoon to "purge" it's entire cache
(i.e. every Sunday night), while running in a production environment?

FYI: I'm building VERY large PDF files (~5 MB's each).  They will not go
"stale" for at least a week (or more) and take a very long time to
generate.  The same file may be requested many times in the same week,
so I was hoping to serve this file from a second drive -- to avoid disk
I/O contention with the main drive and therefore improve the overall
performance of the site.

Thanks (in advance for your input),
Ryan

Re: Cocoon Caching: Can I Config Caching on a 2nd Drive for Very Large Files?

Posted by Julian <ce...@yahoo.com>.
Ryan,

> 1) I would like cocoon to cache all files out to a
> 2nd drive (i.e. not
> the one that cocoon is installed and running on).
> Is this possible?

You would need to mount the 2nd drive as a folder on
the 1rst drive, which I presume cocoon would be
running on.  You then would set the cache directory
for cocoon to the mounted directory in the
cocoon/WEB-INF/web.xml:

    <init-param>
      <param-name>work-directory</param-name>

<param-value>/mountedDrive/cacheFolder</param-value>
    </init-param>

> 2) What is the best way to tell cocoon to "purge"
> it's entire cache
> (i.e. every Sunday night), while running in a
> production environment?

I am not quite sure how to do this since I am learning
the ropes.  Either way, I imagine you set the expires
attribute of the cache to one week.  This will not
purge, but invalidate a given file after a week.  See:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/performancetips.html

I think you also could write an Avalon component to
work with the Scheduler interface. Avalon is already
part of cocoon.  If not, then you would need to create
a cron job.  See:
http://avalon.apache.org/cornerstone/

Overall, I am not 100% on these since I have not used
them, but they could be your answers.

Hope this helps,
Julian

=====
Live simply so others may simply live.
�
-Ghandi
�
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
"Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"
�
-William of Occam