Posted to dev@shardingsphere.apache.org by Zheng Feng <zh...@apache.org> on 2023/01/11 12:18:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] Plan to drop support for JDK 8

Hi all,

This thought is coming from upgrading antlr to 4.10.1 [1] which is only for
Java 11 now. Currently it looks like that the Hibernate 6.0.x [2] and
Quarkus 2.15.x [3] integrations has been blocked by this upgrading issue.

 I think it could be some other 3rd party libraries with this similar issue
sooner or later. So it is time to think about the plan to drop JDK 8 in
shardingsphere now.

I know this is BIG breaking change that could impact a lot of people who
use the shardingsphere. Also it is not very clear in current roadmap [4]
and the document for support JDKs.

So my plan is to keep 5.x branch which sticks to JDK 8 and should be a LTS
version (I'm not sure how long we will be like to support it?). Then bump
the master branch to 6.0 to drop JDK 8 support as soon as possible. There
will be a little bit much more maintenance works with 5.x and master
branches.

What the others think? and we definitely need a formal voting process for
this plan after this discussion.

Regards,
Zheng Feng

[1] https://github.com/antlr/antlr4/releases/tag/4.10.1
[2] https://github.com/apache/shardingsphere/pull/20119
[3] https://github.com/quarkiverse/quarkus-shardingsphere-jdbc/issues/84
[4] https://shardingsphere.apache.org/document/current/en/overview/#roadmap

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Plan to drop support for JDK 8

Posted by KimmKing <ki...@apache.org>.
Because of more Applications running in JDK8 rather than JDK11+, I think dropping support for JDK 8 is a little early now.

--

Kimm King(kimmking@apache.org/kimmking@163.com)
Apache Dubbo&ShardingSphere PMC Member

在 2023-01-14 00:35:27,"Zheng Feng" <zh...@gmail.com> 写道: