Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Sanat Talmaki <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/12 23:20:03 UTC

newbie question

Hi everybody,

I have been trying my way to get comfortable with the xerces api.
Can anyone please tell me approximately how long does one typically spend
with the examples and api before one gets the hang of it atleast to a large
extent.

At present I am finding it pretty hard to even parse a file and print out
ignoring the namespaces without looking at the bundled examples. :(

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Sincerely,

Sanat.

Re: newbie question

Posted by Chris Despopoulos <de...@yahoo.com>.
Why should you be worried about referring to the samples?  You should assume the samples are there to show best-practice code, and you should cannibalize all you can. Eventually you should achieve fluency with the parts of the API that matter to you.  When you logic goes beyond the samples, then you'll become fluent.

As a new user myself, I'm also doing the same. I've learned a number of APIs, and at some level learning an API is learning an API.  If you finish your project and put Xerces down for a few months, you'll be looking at the samples the next time you pick it up.  Samples are an important part of any API documentation.

cud