Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by tb...@yahoo.com on 2005/10/20 09:42:19 UTC

Re: The state of Geronimo --

The unit test does not use the universal DB2 driver. I
think it really should since Geronimo is backed by
IBM. And that way people that use it would have an
example to go by. It uses org.hsqldb as a driver.

Anyways, I have a feeling that the way to get the
database connector as you, David, said below:
> DataSource ds = (DataSource)kernel.invoke(mcfName,
> "$getResource");

leads me to my next step of registering users and
adding them to the database. Now how would I get a
handle to the kernel from the SQLLoginModule? Is it
statically defined somewhere? What is mcfName supposed
to be, and what is $getResource supposed to be?

Also, can I create a form similar to the one provided
in the applications/demo/src/auth/login.html file
(just simple username and password registration) that
would call a class instead of the SQLLoginModule, get
the DataSource, connect to the database and insert the
new user? Can I do this using declarative J2EE as I am
with the deployment plan?

I assume I would just store this in the web-inf
directory and load/deploy it on Geronimo like I am the
security deployment plan, no?

Tyler

--- David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2005, at 10:19 PM, <tb...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm so determined I'm rebuilding M5 with print
> > statements in the SQLLoginModule file. Something's
> > clearly wrong with something (dunno what). I may
> be
> > narrowing it down. From then I guess I can build
> my
> > own modules that will connect to the database the
> way
> > I want, no?
>
> That should work.  BTW, the SQLLoginModule is, umm,
> less than the most
> sophisticated code ever seen, so if you want to
> improve it we would all
> be appreciative.  See
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-409.
> I think some easy
> improvements would be to use prepared statements
> with the user info as
> parameters rather than fetching all the info each
> time.
>
> Another, deeper, issue is that it makes a direct
> connection to the
> database rather than getting one out of a connection
> pool.  I have
> never thought this was a good idea.  However, jndi
> is not available to
> look up datasources in a login module, so you would
> have to get the
> datasource more directly from a
> ManagedConnectionFactoryWrapper gbean.
> The call would be IIRC
>
> DataSource ds = (DataSource)kernel.invoke(mcfName,
> "$getResource");
>
> This would let you use pooled connections which
> ought to be faster for
> most databases.
>
> I do wonder what the cause of your problems might be
> because there is a
> working unit test for this login module.
> >
> > If there's a quicker way to rebuild changes like
> this,
> > then please let me know.
> >
> > I rebuild security. Then I rebuild assembly, and
> use
> > the new server.jar in the
> > modules/assembly/target/geronimo-1.0-M5/bin
> directory.
>
> This will definitely work.  I usually find it is
> more efficient to
> debug the server in an IDE though.    I use IDEA and
> start the server
> like this:
>
> java -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE

-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005

(http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html).

> >> Why use Geronimo? I think I'll let the rest of
> the
> >> community tackle
> >> this one ;-). What I will say is that the last
> two
> >> years of work has
> >> focused on J2EE 1.4 certification. Now that that
> >> goal has been
> >> accomplished, we can all begin to direct our
> focus
> >> on items that will
> >> distinguish Geronimo from the rest of the pack.
> The
> >> best is yet to
> >> come.
> >>
> >> One of the the most powerful features of Geronimo
> is
> >> the ability to
> >> assemble your own components to build your own
> >> application server. We
> >> call these custom assemblies. For example, if
> you're
> >> not developing
> >> EJBs, then don't run the EJB container.
> Geronimo's
> >> EJB container is
> >> not part of the core of the application server so
> it
> >> can be commented
> >> out or removed from the configuration. If you're
> >> only interested in
> >> running Tomcat and ActiveMQ, then run that. If
> you
> >> need an Enterprise
> >> Service Bus via a JBI container, then run
> >> ServiceMix, etc. The

=== message truncated ===

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/