Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Howard Lin <Ho...@vonage.com> on 2003/06/12 19:50:35 UTC

RE: timeZone and day light saving time

Do something like this in the jsp page:

<%-- timzone w/o dst --%>
<fmt:setTimeZone value="GMT-5" var="tz"/>
<%
	TimeZone tz = (TimeZone)pageContext.getAttribute("tz");
	SimpleTimeZone stz = new SimpleTimeZone(tz.getRawOffset(), tz.getID(), 3, 1, 1, 7200000, 9, -1, 1, 7200000, 3600000);
	pageContext.setAttribute("stz", stz);
%>
<%-- using timezone with dst rule -->
<fmt:formatDate value="${date_time}" type="both" pattern="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm" var="formated_date_time" timeZone="${stz}" />

Check Javadoc of SimpleTimeZone for DST rules in the constructor.

Howard

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
It seems like you should be able to do what you want without that much trouble.
If the time zone is given as a string, it's parsed using
java.util.TimeZone.getTimeZone(). For example:

<fmt:timeZone value="America/Bogota">
</fmt:timeZone>

<fmt:timeZone value="America/Detroit">
</fmt:timeZone>

Both have the same raw offset but have different daylight savings behavior. I
suppose the trick is knowing which of the supported time zone IDs to use
(TimeZone.getAvailableIDs can get you a list). Here's a list of the IDs for "GMT-5":

America/Bogota
America/Cayman
America/Detroit
America/Eirunepe