Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net> on 2007/01/01 15:22:42 UTC

Re: SA-UPDATE and recent branches/3.1 rules? or Did I miss an SA version update?

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 09:46:01 +0000, Nigel Frankcom
<ni...@blue-canoe.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 01:23:59 -0500, Theo Van Dinter
><fe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 09:11:08PM -0600, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>>> Is there some process that needs to be automated to ship out the 3.1
>>> branch rules changes via sa-update?
>>
>>At the moment, we push out the updates manually.  It could be automated (I
>>already have a script that does 95% of it, which I currently run manually,)
>>but I think 3.1 will probably stay manual for a while.
>>
>>3.2 has automatic updates, which some of us (ok, at least me,) is still not
>>too sure about.
>>
>>> I know I've seen commits to branches/3.1, but no sa-update since 12/19....
>>
>>Actually, I pushed an update yesterday evening. :P
>>
>>Generally, updates get put in, and then whenever someone feels like pushing
>>it, they can.  I usually put in small commits for specific sets of rules, and
>>could do multiple edits before I want an update to occur.
>
>Is anyone else having problems updating with sa-update? Mine's exiting
>with code 4 - Full details below....
>
>Kind Regards & a Happy New Year to all.
>
>Nigel

<snip>
>>[15939] dbg: diag: updates complete, exiting with code 4

No, you didn't miss a version update. That was the 1st thing I checked
when I saw the 3.002 references.

I think Theo may have got his dev tree's mixed up, or maybe a little
too much Xmas spirit ;-D

Nigel

help needed with sa-update

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.
Hi Folks,

Hopefully somebody can provide some guidance.

sa-update has just started giving me errors:

I run:
sa-update

and get a string of errors along the lines of:
config: configuration file
"/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001003/updates_spamassassin_org.tmp/20_advance_fee.cf"
requires version 3.002000 of SpamAssassin, but this is code version
3.001003. Maybe you need to use the -C switch, or remove the old config
files? Skipping this file at
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Conf/Parser.pm line 344.

and then spamassassin --lint fails

I'm running on Debian Sarge, with security, volatile, and backports in
my apt sources list, and I thought everything was all caught up.  But
now, I'm confused as to what's actually installed.
spamassassin -V tells me that I'm running version 3.1.3
the error messsage I'm getting suggests otherwise

So... any suggestions on how to figure out and fix what's going on?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman

Re: SA-UPDATE and recent branches/3.1 rules? or Did I miss an SA version update?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 12:46:19PM -0500, Andy Figueroa wrote:
> Concur.  I noted the errors when I ran sa-update -D a little while ago.
> But, best I can tell, nothing changed.  Even the temporary files
> in /tmp were deleted.  I also checked /etc/mail/spamassassin and only
> the date got changed on the sa-update-keys directory, but nothing new
> in the directory.  spamassassin --lint passes.  So, why am I afraid to
> restart spamd?

The man page and wiki explain it, but if the channel lint check fails, the
currently installed config files aren't updated.  So you can restart spamd if
you want to, but the configs weren't changed.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
It's lucky you're going so slowly, because you're going in the wrong direction.

Re: SA-UPDATE and recent branches/3.1 rules? or Did I miss an SA version update?

Posted by Andy Figueroa <fi...@andyfigueroa.net>.

Posted by R Lists06 <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> No, your SA won't be broken. IIRC SA won't apply anything if there's a
> failure. At least my SA is still running fine here after my attempted
> update this morning. I didn't restart after the failure so in theory
> at least SA should still be running off the old set even if the new
> set did cause a problem. That said, I'm pretty sure that unless SA
> gets an OK return from sa-update nothing is applied.
>
> If anyone knows different please yell.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Nigel

What I know that is different is, if you go to

/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/

Or wherever your updates go on your machine and check the directory listings
with ls -axl mine show up as the last time I updated and have not been
updated as of today.

These results tell me we are all ok and should breathe a sigh of relief.

Nothing to see here.  :-)

 - rh

--
Robert - Abba Communications
   Computer & Internet Services

Re: SA-UPDATE and recent branches/3.1 rules? or Did I miss an SA version update?

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.