Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Annette <ma...@gte.net> on 2000/10/17 08:59:51 UTC

Apache 1.3.14 and Mod_Perl

I am new to Apache and Mod_Perl and I have a question.

I am running Red Hat 6.0 on an Intel machine.
I loaded the Server setup.
Apache 1.3.6 is loaded and runs fine. I was able to load and run Mod_Perl RMS package from Red Hat as DSO.

I want to upgrade to Apache 1.3.14 and latest version of Mod_Perl.
Here are the steps I took to load Apache 1.3.14.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
I downloaded Apache_1.3.14.tar.gz to the /usr/src directory
tar zvxf apache_1.3.14.tar.gz
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
make
make install
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

I verified that Apache 1.3.14 is now running.

How do I install the latest version of Mod_Perl? Every time I try to install it I receive a message stating I need Apache 1.3.0 and then it aborts.
I tried Mod_Perl version 1.19, 1.21, and 1.24 and I receive the same error.

Any input would be appreciated and I hope this is the right address to send my question.

Ann.

Re: Apache 1.3.14 and Mod_Perl

Posted by Nouguier <ol...@akio-solutions.com>.
Annette wrote:

> I am new to Apache and Mod_Perl and I have a question. I am running
> Red Hat 6.0 on an Intel machine.I loaded the Server setup.Apache 1.3.6
> is loaded and runs fine. I was able to load and run Mod_Perl RMS
> package from Red Hat as DSO. I want to upgrade to Apache 1.3.14 and
> latest version of Mod_Perl.Here are the steps I took to load Apache
> 1.3.14. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stopI downloaded Apache_1.3.14.tar.gz
> to the /usr/src directorytar zvxf apache_1.3.14.tar.gz./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/apachemakemake
> install/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start I verified that Apache
> 1.3.14 is now running. How do I install the latest version of
> Mod_Perl? Every time I try to install it I receive a message stating I
> need Apache 1.3.0 and then it aborts.I tried Mod_Perl version 1.19,
> 1.21, and 1.24 and I receive the same error. Any input would be
> appreciated and I hope this is the right address to send my question.
> Ann.

Hi
    When the use configure, try "configure --help" to see options for
apache building, and you will see that you should add
"--enable-module=so" to build apache with a share core and
"--enable-module=perl"  for perl.

Hope it's help

--
Don't be irreplaceable, if you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

Re: Apache 1.3.14 and Mod_Perl

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
At 23:59 16/10/2000 -0700, Annette wrote:

> How do I install the latest version of Mod_Perl? Every time I try to install
> it I receive a message stating I need Apache 1.3.0 and then it aborts.
> I tried Mod_Perl version 1.19, 1.21, and 1.24 and I receive the same error.

You need 1.24_01 to work with Apache 1.3.14 because of a tiny bug that prevents
mod_perl's setup from parsing Apache's version number properly. You can grab it
from http://perl.apache.org/dist/mod_perl-1.24_01.tar.gz. Alternatively,
you can
play with Makefile.PL to get it to return the version number you know is true,
but it's probably faster this way.

-- robin b.
After all, what is your hosts' purpose in having a party?  Surely not for
you to enjoy yourself; if that were their sole purpose, they'd have simply
sent champagne and women over to your place by taxi.

Re: Apache 1.3.14 and Mod_Perl

Posted by Jeff Beard <be...@cyberxape.com>.
Here's what I would do:

Remove the rpm version of apache:

	# rpm -e <packagename>

If you want to use the start up files that are part of that
package just copy them some where since they'll be removed.

Build the source version following the directions in the mod_perl
document called INSTALL.apaci under the heading "The flexible way".

Unless you have a specific reason for it, I wouldn't bother with
building it as a DSO. It's usually not a problem on Linux but it
adds a level of complexity.

I used mod_perl 1.24_01 with Apache 1.3.14 last time and had no
problems with the build.

--Jeff