Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ahmet ozturk <oa...@metu.edu.tr> on 2004/03/31 08:16:27 UTC

[users@httpd] apache 2.0.49 + mod_auth_ldap problem (unstable behaviour?)

Hi,

I'm in trouble with apache 2.0.49 + mod_auth_ldap.
I just want to authenticate my users via .htaccess files using LDAP.

my system is: apache 2.0.49 on debian woody with openldap-2.1.27.

my configure line is
./configure --with-ldap=yes --enable-auth-ldap --enable-ldap \
--with-ldap-include=/usr/local/openldap-2.1.27/include  \
--with-ldap-lib=/usr/local/openldap-2.1.27/lib \
--with-mpm=worker
it compiled without an error and works well.
I' ve added the following lines to my httpd.conf file:

---
LDAPSharedCacheSize 200000
LDAPCacheEntries 1024
LDAPCacheTTL 600
LDAPOpCacheEntries 1024
LDAPOpCacheTTL 600
---

and also I' ve created my .htaccess file in my htdocs directory as:
----
Authtype Basic
Authname "HayaletGemi"

 Deny from all
 Allow from 144.122
 AuthLDAPEnabled on
 AuthLDAPAuthoritative on
 AuthLDAPURL "ldap://myldapserver:389/ou=People,dc=myorganization"
 require valid-user
----

when I connect to my webserver it asks my username and password.
I enter my user/pass pair correctly and sometimes apache
authenticates me and let me in, however sometimes it does not.
it does not behave stable Ithink.
Moreover if I authenticated via .htaccess successfully, and
refresh my browser my webserver again prompts for username/password.

BTW, I' ve compiled apache 2.0.48 in the same way and it works
perfectly.

I think my problem is with mod_ldap's caching mechanism but I cannot
figure out what should I do?.

can anybody tell me where I'm doing wrong?.

best regards.

Ahmet Ozturk
Unix Systems Administrator
METU-CC / Technical Support Group.

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.0.49 + mod_auth_ldap problem (unstable behaviour?)

Posted by ahmet ozturk <oa...@metu.edu.tr>.
I' ve tested with almost all combinations of LDAP* directives :)
also I defined LDAPSharedCacheFile directive as Wrolf Courtney told.
but no change.
maybe I should look into soruce code of ldap modules to see
what has changed in 2.0.49.

thank you Milan and Wrolf.
I will be very glad to hear your other ideas.

regards.

~ahmet.

-------------------
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:16:27AM +0300, ahmet ozturk wrote:
> >
> > I think my problem is with mod_ldap's caching mechanism but I
cannot
> > figure out what should I do?.
> >

> have you tested without using the cache?  it might help narrow down
the
> problem.
>
> maybe with something like:
>     LDAPCacheEntries 0
>     LDAPOpCacheEntries 0
>
> --
> Milan

ahmet ozturk

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.0.49 + mod_auth_ldap problem (unstable behaviour?)

Posted by Milan Andric <ma...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:16:27AM +0300, ahmet ozturk wrote:

> I think my problem is with mod_ldap's caching mechanism but I cannot
> figure out what should I do?.

have you tested without using the cache?  it might help narrow down the
problem.

maybe with something like:
    LDAPCacheEntries 0
    LDAPOpCacheEntries 0

--
Milan

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.0.49 + mod_auth_ldap problem (unstable behaviour?)

Posted by wr...@donovandata.com.

I feel your pain.

Try:

LDAPSharedCacheFile /tmp/LDAPSharedCacheFile

This got things going for me!

In quick benchmarks on my RedHat 7.3, the default prefork MPM was faster
than the worker one.

Wrolf

             ahmet ozturk
             <oahmet@metu.edu.
             tr>                                                        To
                                       users@httpd.apache.org
             03/31/2004 01:16                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       [users@httpd] apache 2.0.49 +
             Please respond to         mod_auth_ldap problem  (unstable
             users@httpd.apach         behaviour?)
                   e.org