Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2005/07/07 20:26:13 UTC

[VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Now that Covalent has released it's ERS 3.0 distribution, mod_ftp is now
officially offered for donation/incubation/graduation to the ASF.

mod_ftp (previously Covalent FTP) is an Apache 2.0 Protocol Module which
implements FTP (RFCs 959, 1123, 2228, 2389), including such features
as FTP over SSL, jailing logged-in users, extended logging, firewall
awareness and limiting logins. As Covalent FTP, it has been used by
numerous well-known F500 companies, and is such a real-world
protocol module, and not simply an academic exercise (this is not
a comment on any other protocol modules in existence, but a statement
to ensure that the module has been used and tested in real-world
environments by major clients).

The entire code-base, including Perl test scripts for inclusion in
httpd-test,
is available and ready for donation into the ASF svn repos.

I volunteer as Champion.

I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
graduation from the Incubator.

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1, I think this is a great addition to the httpd project, and would
love to help with the Incubation.

-Paul

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Jeff McAdams <je...@iglou.com>.
r.pluem@t-online.de wrote:
> I haven't checked how good they work personally, but there are several open source FTPS servers
> like proftpd and vsftpd:

> http://www.proftpd.org/
> http://vsftpd.beasts.org/

Hrmm...ok...and we use vsftpd...interesting, I didn't realize it
supported it.  I do remember, now, why we don't support FTPS, and it
wasn't because of the (perceived) lack of servers...our load-balancing
system doesn't support it.

Well, regardless...mod_ftp could lead to FTPS support in Apache, which
could be a good thing in any case.  :)
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by r....@t-online.de.

Jeff McAdams wrote:
>  I could easily see this resulting
> in FTPS support finally being available in open source.  Not that I'm a
> big fan of FTPS in general, but not having an FTPS server available in
> the open source world is something of a gap that probably should be filled.

I haven't checked how good they work personally, but there are several open source FTPS servers
like proftpd and vsftpd:

http://www.proftpd.org/
http://vsftpd.beasts.org/

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Jeff McAdams <je...@iglou.com>.
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> On 7/7/05, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
>>inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
>>graduation from the Incubator.

> +1 (not that you need any more votes)

> FTP can be crufty, but ftp clients are everywhere, and for that reason
> it is useful to provide ftp as a way to get at data without a hassle,
> particularly on random boxes where you don't want to worry if client
> software for more "modern" protocols is already installed/configured.

I'm not an ASF member...and I'm not sure what in this message triggered
this thought, but...for what its worth.

I'm glad to see this work as well.  Just to throw out another potential
benefit down the road of this work.  I could easily see this resulting

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1

Bill

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 02:26:13PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1.  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1

Regards,
Graham

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Now that Covalent has released it's ERS 3.0 distribution, mod_ftp is now
> officially offered for donation/incubation/graduation to the ASF.

sounds like fun

> The entire code-base, including Perl test scripts for inclusion in
> httpd-test,
> is available and ready for donation into the ASF svn repos.

if help, mentoring, or other foo is needed on the httpd-test front I'm more
than willing to donate whatever time or assistance is needed.

> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1

--Geoff

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1

....Roy

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1. Having an "integrated" FTP server makes sense when Apache HTTPd is
measured up against IIS.

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 01:26 PM 7/7/2005, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
>inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
>graduation from the Incubator.

++1

I see this more valuable to httpd as a case study in alternate
protocols than the ftp: scheme it offers.  Until we have several
modules, mod_snmp, mod_ftp, etc, we will never truly recognize
where we must divide connection from resource from request.

Some have asked if there is anything more to do.  Others asked
if it would support -x- (caching, content, whatever).

Resources are served as sub-requests of the 'connection' (login)
request.  So they can contain anything, be cached or not, etc.
The entire gamut of what you can serve from http: flows to ftp:

But certainly more can be done.  The request model in an httpd 2.2
or 2.4 version can become much cleaner, as we better divide the
components of httpd.

Bill

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Final Tally:

+1 (binding):
     Jim Jagielski
     Sander Striker
     Roy T. Fielding
     Rich Bowen
     Paul Querna
     Geoffrey Young
     Brian Pane
     Bill Stoddard
     Justin Erenkrantz
     William Rowe
     Graham Leggett
     Jeff Trawick

+1 (non-binding):
     Colm MacCárthaigh
     Mladen Turk
     Jeff McAdams
     Sander Temme

-1 (binding):
    None

-1 (non-binding):
    Paul Houle

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Brian Pane <br...@apache.org>.
On Jul 7, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1

Brian

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
On Jul 7, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1

S.

mod_ftp for incubation PASSES (Was: Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jul 7, 2005, at 2:26 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I volunteer as Champion.
>
> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

Now that vacation and other offline activities are done, I'm
finishing this up.

I saw no (binding) -1 votes and numerous +1 votes (both
binding and non).

As such, I declare the vote as passing. I will not propose
mod_ftp to the Incubator.

Thanks to all for the votes and feedback!

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jul 8, 2005, at 5:45 AM, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

> And then, on top of this, I'd love for the ftp module to be able to
> serve content from a proxy backend. So that I can run a decent reverse
> proxy FTP server - but loadbalanced and using HTTP as the retrieval
> mechanism.

Actually, an FTP Proxy Server is one main improvement to mod_ftp
that is an obvious one, at least imo.

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.
On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 02:16:27AM -0700, Paul Querna wrote:
> IPv6, pretty sure it does.

Cool :)

> mod_cache is a no.  Not sure it could, at least in the current
> incaration of mod_cache, since the actual caching of files is so tied to
> HTTP Headers.

I've been looking at it over the last while, for hacking it into
mod_ftpd. Caching FTP transfers should definitely be possible, with
only a little bit of generalisation to mod_cache neccessary.

What would be really useful for me though, and what I've been looking at
is having an interoperable cache, so that if someone downloads a file
using HTTP and it's in the cache, when an FTP request comes in for the
same file - it is served from the cache.

I realise it's crazy, but there's more information in the cache than FTP
actually needs, so it is possible. How ugly the solution might be is
another thing.

And then, on top of this, I'd love for the ftp module to be able to
serve content from a proxy backend. So that I can run a decent reverse
proxy FTP server - but loadbalanced and using HTTP as the retrieval
mechanism.

It may only be useful to people like me who run mirror servers and have
to make a lot of content available over ftp and http, and need
scalability for that content delivery, but there's enough possible
benefit for me to justify some of my time trying to add those features
:)

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

>On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 03:49:39PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>

>>>Is there anything left for the community to work on?  Or rather, do
>>>you think there is enough to do to attract a few (new) developers?
>>>

>>Yes, on both counts :)
>>

>Does it currently support IPv6, mod_cache? (I realise that second one is
>less likely).

IPv6, pretty sure it does.

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Now that Covalent has released it's ERS 3.0 distribution, mod_ftp is now
> officially offered for donation/incubation/graduation to the ASF.
>
> mod_ftp (previously Covalent FTP) is an Apache 2.0 Protocol Module which
> implements FTP (RFCs 959, 1123, 2228, 2389), including such features
> as FTP over SSL, jailing logged-in users, extended logging, firewall
> awareness and limiting logins. As Covalent FTP, it has been used by
> numerous well-known F500 companies, and is such a real-world
> protocol module, and not simply an academic exercise (this is not
> a comment on any other protocol modules in existence, but a statement
> to ensure that the module has been used and tested in real-world
> environments by major clients).
>
> The entire code-base, including Perl test scripts for inclusion in
> httpd-test, is available and ready for donation into the ASF svn repos.

Is there anything left for the community to work on?  Or rather, do you
think there is enough to do to attract a few (new) developers?

Assuming the answer is yes:

> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

+1.

Sander

Re: [VOTE] mod_ftp for HTTP Server Project

Posted by Paul A Houle <ph...@cornell.edu>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I therefore Call A Vote on whether we should support mod_ftp for
> inclusion into the Incubator and if we should accept mod_ftp upon
> graduation from the Incubator.

    I don't know if I get a vote,  but it's

-1

    This would have been an exciting project in 1989,  but ftp doesn't
work well with today's internet.:  today it's just a way to make systems
that "just don't work" for people.