Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Peter W." <pe...@marketingbrokers.com> on 2007/03/27 21:36:19 UTC

Contextual text-link ads

Howdy,

Does anyone have any design considerations for implementing
a contextual text-link advertising system using Lucene?

The emphasis would be strictly on monetizing search results with
light, non-intrusive  behavior (query terms match sponsored results).

Thanks,

Peter W.

Re: Contextual text-link ads

Posted by "Peter W." <pe...@marketingbrokers.com>.
Thanks, sounds great.

Sponsored search results are such an important complement
to Lucene, Solr and Nutch it's surprising there is nothing in
the sandbox and only a few archive mentions.

I really liked the idea of setting a boost to certain sponsor
docs based on 'importance' and some known profitable ad formulas
might come into play such as:

sponsored_ad_position=(clicks/impressions) * (highest_bid);

Click-thru rate, cost-per-click and average cost-per-click
still need to be worked out and a few details like automation,
stop words, reporting, analytics, localization, payments and
pay-per-action (conversions) would be gravy.

Beyond just cloning what's out there, the collective experience
of the Lucene community could take leadership in paid search.

Best,

Peter W.

Re: Contextual text-link ads

Posted by Doron Cohen <DO...@il.ibm.com>.