Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Tom Burton-West <tb...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/07 00:34:20 UTC

Re: port of Nutch CommonGrams to Solr for help with slow phrase queries

Hi Norberto,

After working a bit on trying to port the Nutch CommonGrams code, I ran into
lots of dependencies on Nutch and Hadoop.  Would it be possible to get more
information on how you use shingles (or code)? Are you creating shingles for
all two word combinations or using a list of words?

Tom

i haven't used Nutch's implementation, but used the current implementation
(1.3) of ngrams and shingles to address exactly the same issue ( database of
music albums and tracks).
We didn't notice any severe performance hit but :
- data set isn't huge ( ca 1 MM docs).
- reindexed nightly via DIH from MS-SQL, so we can use a separate cache
layer to
lower the number of hits to SOLR.