Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by dan <da...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/12 13:17:23 UTC

how to customize login page and site label

I can't find any docs on how to change the site label and login pages
in the current 9.13.  Changes made in the translation pages don't seem
to do anything.

Thanks.

Re: how to customize login page and site label

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
did that.  even switched browsers, it's definitely not.  I'm thinking that
'unable to merge language resource "en" ' is to blame...

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 3:08 PM, rhawkins <richard.hawkins@medctrbarbour.org

Posted by Jerry <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hey Dan,

try the following:

{
        "NAME" : "English",

        "APP":{
                "NAME" : "XYZ APP"
                }
}

In translations/en.json

Posted by vnick <vn...@apache.org>.
vnick wrote
> Mike Jumper wrote
>> Hey Nick,
>>
>> No, Guacamole doesn't apply any limitations to the MIME types of
>> resources
>> exposed via extensions. It's on the author of the extension to determine
>> the correct MIME type, but Guacamole will simply pass that through.
>>
>> Are you seeing any specific errors from the browser when attempting to
>> load
>> the resource?
>>
>> - Mike
>
> Nope, no specific errors.  I'm not seeing any invalid JSON or CSS messages
> in the logs, and nothing in the browser.  Here's what I've done:
> - Placed font files (TTF format) in my extension's "resources/" directory

So, for what it's worth, I converted the fonts to WOFF and OTF, in addition
to TTF, and put the directives for all of the formats into the resources and
CSS files.  It seems to pull in the WOFF-formatted fonts just fine - not
sure if it's because I'm still missing the correct MIME type for TTF (I'm
using application/x-font-TrueType), or if Chrome doesn't like TTF or my
version of TTF.  But, for whatever reason, it's working with WOFF. Probably
a better choice, anyway :-).

-Nick

Posted by vnick <vn...@apache.org>.
Mike Jumper wrote
> Hey Nick,
>
> No, Guacamole doesn't apply any limitations to the MIME types of resources
> exposed via extensions. It's on the author of the extension to determine
> the correct MIME type, but Guacamole will simply pass that through.
>
> Are you seeing any specific errors from the browser when attempting to
> load
> the resource?
>
> - Mike

Nope, no specific errors.  I'm not seeing any invalid JSON or CSS messages
in the logs, and nothing in the browser.  Here's what I've done:
- Placed font files (TTF format) in my extension's "resources/" directory
- Added the entries to the guac-manifest.json file in the resources section
for the font files.
- Created a new CSS file with the @font-face directives to load the fonts.
I'm using the "app/ext/guacamole-branding-nick/resources/Font.ttf" path in
the url() area, same as the custom logo (which works fine).
- Add the new CSS file to the correct area in the guac-manifest.json file.
- Add directives to my other CSS file to change the font for things like the
header, login page, etc.

When I load the page, the font doesn't load at all, and if I open up the
Google Chrome Inspector panel, I see:
- CSS file is loaded correctly and I can find the @font-face directives for
my new font.
- CSS file correctly displays my changes for places where I've specified
font-family with my custom font.
- The font files do *not* show up in the
sources/app/ext/guacamole-branding-nick/resources folder in the inspector
panel.
- If I point my browser directly at the font file with the full URL to the
font, it downloads correctly.

So, the font is in the right path, the CSS is getting loaded, but, for one
reason or another, the font is not being used on the page.  I'm not sure if
this is something with the MIME type I'm using not being recognized by the
browser or if there's something else I'm missing?

Thanks,
Nick

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by vnick <vn...@apache.org>.
Mike Jumper wrote
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 3:26 PM, dan &lt;

> dandenson@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> got it.  error in the guide.
>>
>> guide shows:
>>         "resources" : [
>>             "resources/your-logo.png" : "image/png"
>>         ],
>>

>> what works is:
>>          "resources" : {
>>                 "images/snake2.png" : "image/png"
>>          }
>>

> What guide are you referring to above?
>
> The manual correctly states that the "resources" property is an object,
> and
> the example provided a little bit below the table of properties
> demonstrates it as such:
>
> - Mike

Side (but related) question - I'm trying to load a custom font with the
resources section, and I think I'm not getting the MIME type quite right.
Is there a limit to the types of files Guacamole will load in this resource
section, or do I just need the correct type of the file?  I've tried several
different variations of application/font-* and none of them have allowed
Chrome to actually load the resource.

Thanks - Nick

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
I'm not getting that.  I see the xyz module is loaded, but it's not sending
that to the browser and there's the "en" issue from above...

my guac-manifest.json again:

{
  "guacamoleVersion" : "*",
  "name" : "xyz",
  "namespace" : "xyz",

  "translations" : [
  "translations/en.json"
 ]
}

can you send me a copy of your extension?  I'll see if it loads in mind,
maybe track down my error?

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 3:10 PM, rhawkins <richard.hawkins@medctrbarbour.org

Posted by rhawkins <ri...@medctrbarbour.org>.
here is the result..

http://snakeden.myvnc.com/#/

on my site.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
it's the resource line.  something is weird with it.  If I remove it I get
my text in the login page (but no image).

jar attached (added zip ext so it will send)

This produces a text theme, but no image (I suspect the path in the css is
funky...)

I cannot put the resource line in else the module fails to load.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
this one, I think you linked it.  It's your first post on the page:

http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Branding-the-login-page-td281.html

I noticed a difference a number of posts down.

It's working now though, thanks for all the help!

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
got it.  error in the guide.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
removed all white space and replaced with single spaces, no go.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
I have no reference to 'Theming Extension'

Posted by Erik Berndt <er...@superiorpaving.net>.
Even though the custom name space is being reported as loaded by Tomcat,
check a few lines below in the Catalina.out log for.

15:38:41.719 [localhost-startStop-1] INFO  o.a.g.extension.ExtensionModule
- Extension "Theming Extension" loaded.

If you're using mysql and/or LDAP authentication extensions, it should
appear in the line below. If not, there may be some clues about possible
syntax errors in your .json files in the catalina.out. I was able to
discover most of my issues when branding our login page without having to
turn on debug logging, but as Mike mentioned, this may prove helpful if you
can't find anything useful in the tomcat logs.

Erik Berndt / Systems Administrator
5551 Wellington Rd, Gainesville, VA 20155
703.631.0004 x520 (Phone) / 703.257.1725 (Fax)

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by rhawkins <ri...@medctrbarbour.org>.

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
I thought I dug thoroughly, I did find the page Mike linked to above
but I'm still missing how to do this...

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.
Mike, can you offer a little help?

I'm reading this that I need to create a guac-manifest.json that
contains a couple minimal items.  zip that and rename to .jar, put in
/etc/guacamole/extensions/, restart guac

Does that sound right?

If so, I don't have a clue what to do for changing the page name.  I
see in the page source of the rendered page that the title is set, but
when I look into those files the text isn't there.

<title ng-bind="page.title | translate" class="ng-binding">Apache
Guacamole</title>

thanks

Posted by vnick <vn...@apache.org>.
Mike Jumper wrote

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 6:20 AM, vnick <vn...@apache.org> wrote:
> dan-2 wrote
>> I can't find any docs on how to change the site label and login pages
>> in the current 9.13.  Changes made in the translation pages don't seem
>> to do anything.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> What files, specifically, are you changing?
>
> There's currently not an easy way to make these changes ...

On the contrary!

Please see the Guacamole extension format:
http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-ext.html#ext-file-format

All user-visible text within Guacamole has a corresponding translation
string, which can be overridden by providing a new string for that
same translation key within your extension. The content of the various
HTML templates can also be overridden/augmented using
specially-formatted HTML snippets.

It shouldn't be necessary to patch the web application source, unless
the intent is to fork the source to produce your own application which
you will maintain independently of mainline. The idea behind the
extension subsystem is to allow such changes to Guacamole to remain
stable and independent.

- Mike

Re: how to customize login page and site label

Posted by vnick <vn...@apache.org>.
dan-2 wrote
> well, my issue is that I'm a novice with tomcat and war files.  I have
> the guacamole source in a folder, I edited the en.json there and
> restarted tomcat, but I'm realizing that I need to package that folder
> into the war file.

That's fine - we're happy to help you figure out how to accomplish this.

If you have the source, then you need to edit it and then rebuild it.  This
is pretty simple, just requires that you have Maven and JDK installed on
your system, so after you make the changes to the source you go to the
top-level directory and type "mvn package" which rebuilds everything.  Then
you can grab the resulting WAR file from the guacamole/target directory and
deploy that.  You can find more detailed instructions on this process in the
manual:

http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html#building-guacamole-client

-Nick

Posted by vnick <vn...@apache.org>.
Евгений Н. Жуков wrote
> The best is fix translation file, images and html in source and redeploy
> WAR?

In my experience, making sure that the changes you make are in the WAR file
is the only reliable way to ensure that the web application always contains
your changes and that those changes are never overwritten with other files.
This requires a little bit of extra work to get the source, Maven, and JDK,
and rebuild everything, but it's worth it to have a WAR file that contains
your changes and that you can redeploy and deploy to multiple systems
without having to make the same changes over and over again.

This is my opinion, based purely on my past experiences deploying web
applications in Java servers, so do what works for you - just beware that if
your guacamole.war file gets touched by some process (a backup, another
admin, etc.), or you go to upgrade to the next version that comes out, you
risk overwriting those changes, and, at the very least, having to copy the
changes back over every time the web application gets redeployed.

-Nick

Posted by "Евгений Н. Жуков" <eu...@gmail.com>.
The best is fix translation file, images and html in source and redeploy
WAR?

> Евгений Н. Жуков wrote
> > Try to fix en.json in tomcat directory not in source.
>
> You can do this, and it does work to try things out, but I recommend
> against
> this as a long-term solution.  There are specific circumstances that will
> trigger Tomcat to re-deploy the web application from the WAR file, and if
> you make the changes only in the deployed web application
> (webapps/guacamole/), and not in the WAR file, you will lose your changes.
>
> -Nick
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

--
Евгений Н. Жуков
+79534155676, (83145)94800
ICQ: 52108310 skype: xrt_nn

Re: how to customize login page and site label

Posted by vnick <vn...@apache.org>.
Евгений Н. Жуков wrote

Posted by "Евгений Н. Жуков" <eu...@gmail.com>.

--
Евгений Н. Жуков
+79534155676, (83145)94800

Re: how to customize login page and site label

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vnick <vn...@apache.org>.
dan-2 wrote

Posted by dan <da...@gmail.com>.