Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rob Kirkbride <ro...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/04 18:39:11 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_log_config - time taken to serve the request, in microseconds

Hi all,

I need to understand exactly what this figure means.
Does the figure include any time for the response to be sent back to the
client, or is it the time that the web server has completed the processing?
We're getting some long duration and I need to understand if we've got
network problems at our end, or if it may be because the user is running
over a slow connection.

Thanks for any help,

Rob

Re: [users@httpd] mod_log_config - time taken to serve the request, in microseconds

Posted by Eike Frost <ei...@kefro.st>.
Hi,

On Saturday 05 August 2006 16:32, Rob Kirkbride wrote:
> Sorry you're right. We basically have bands whereby if we achieve >=99%
> within 1 second the client pays us. If we're between say 98 and 99% the
> cost is neutral, less than 98 and we pay them.
> It's slightly more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.
> We have to ensure we have enough web-servers to deal with the requests and
> this is there way of checking.
>
> Does that help?

Reading this I was reminded of mod_log_firstbyte ... If your application
precomputes its output and then starts sending (as opposed to outputting
headers, then doing computation, and then sending output), it might be useful
to you since it logs the time it takes between receiving a request and the
first byte of the response being served. Looking for it now, it seems the
webpage linked from http://modules.apache.org/search?id=735 for it is now
defunct; you may be able to reach its author or find it googling, though.

Another interesting link to follow would be http://www.arm4.org/trac/ and
mod_arm / mod_arm4, again depending on your application and needs :-)

--Eike

Re: [users@httpd] mod_log_config - time taken to serve the request, in microseconds

Posted by Alexander Lazic <al...@none.at>.
On Sam 05.08.2006 15:32, Rob Kirkbride wrote:

>Sorry you're right. We basically have bands whereby if we achieve >=99%
>within 1 second the client pays us. If we're between say 98 and 99% the
>cost is neutral, less than 98 and we pay them.
>It's slightly more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.
>We have to ensure we have enough web-servers to deal with the requests
>and this is there way of checking.

How about to make

%{%s}t - %D/100000

but you don't have the network latency to the client.

It would be also helpfull to make a small client-tool (js, applet,...)
which send an answer when the response is complete arrived to the
client.

This solution use many *markting* sniffer :-((

regards

Alex

Re: [users@httpd] mod_log_config - time taken to serve the request, in microseconds

Posted by Rob Kirkbride <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 05/08/06, Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> On 8/5/06, Rob Kirkbride <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > the
> we've
> > got
> > running

> loaded/busy
> > the
> > certain
> > >
> > > A  certain percentage of what within a certain time?  How busy a
> > > website is depends on the performance of the network and the clients
> > > as well as the server, so your question doesn't seem well-defined.
> > >
> > > Joshua.
> > >

> > Sorry you're right. We basically have bands whereby if we achieve >=99%
> > within 1 second the client pays us. If we're between say 98 and 99% the
> cost
> > is neutral, less than 98 and we pay them.
> > It's slightly more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.
> > We have to ensure we have enough web-servers to deal with the requests
> and
> > this is there way of checking.
>
> I'm not an expert in this stuff.
>
> If you are concerned about the time to generate complicated dynamic
> content, then you can build a timer into the application itself.  For
> example, this is what google does to tell you on each search response
> how long the response took to generate.
>
> Otherwise, you could consider using a monitoring application on the
> local network to periodically check performance of your site.  This
> would eliminate the client and network as possible variables, but
> would only provide a statistical sample rather than a definitive
> measure of all response times.
>
> I don't think there is any way for apache httpd to answer this question.
>
> Joshua.
>
> Thanks for the help - Joshua. A timer sounds the way to go, but the
monitoring application does give food for thought. As you say if it was on
the local network then that would eliminate internet loading.

Thanks again.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Rob Kirkbride <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.