Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Hamilton Link <he...@sandia.gov> on 2002/07/30 15:25:45 UTC

question building client vs. server

OK, I've got neon built, which was the second-to-last nail in svn's
coffin. A couple of final questions for the list watchers to clarify
something from the docs...

In the svn/INSTALL instructions, section II.B "Building the Latest
Source under Unix", it says to do the following:

       Start the process by running "autogen.sh":
           $ sh ./autogen.sh
       After all components are in place, follow the usual procedure:
           $ ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared
           $ make
           $ make check    (optional)
           # make install

Then in section III.B "Making and Installing the Subversion Server" it
says:

           $ ./configure
       Note: do *not* configure subversion with "--disable-shared"!

So, here are my questions.

a) does building the system when apache2 is available build both the
client and the server, or what?
b) ./configure is an oversimplification, right, I have to pull in a big
list of args to tell it where everything is, plus maintainer mode if
that's what I built apache as, etc.?

thanks,
hamilton

Re: question building client vs. server

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"Hamilton Link" <he...@sandia.gov> writes:

> a) does building the system when apache2 is available build both the
> client and the server, or what?

Yes, it builds the client, the libraries, and the apache module.

> b) ./configure is an oversimplification, right, I have to pull in a
> big list of args to tell it where everything is, plus maintainer mode
> if that's what I built apache as, etc.?

Yes.

--
Philip Martin