Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by John Zheng <jz...@interwoven.com> on 2003/11/27 20:29:22 UTC

reduce the 60 seconds to process mail spool

I'm using James in a development environment where James is used as the
SMTP server as well as the pop3 server.  All mail is delivered to local
users, so no mail is ever routed to another SMTP server.

I've noticed that it takes exactly 60 seconds for new email sent to
James to be processed from the spool directory and put into the user's
local folder.  I would like to reduce this to instantaneous processing
of new email, or at least something on the order of 5-10 seconds.

Browsing through the documentation did not find any configuration
setting to adjust the amount of time it takes to process the spool
folder.  A google search turned out
http://james.apache.org/javadocs/org/apache/james/mailrepository/JDBCSpoolRepository.html which seems to indicate in the "Approach for spool manager" that the 60 second wait is a built-in function of the spool manager.

If there is some way to reduce this 60 seconds to something shorter, I
would like to know how to do it.

Thank you in advance.

John

Re: reduce the 60 seconds to process mail spool

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
John Zheng wrote:
> I've noticed that it takes exactly 60 seconds for new email sent to
> James to be processed from the spool directory and put into the user's
> local folder.  I would like to reduce this to instantaneous processing
> of new email, or at least something on the order of 5-10 seconds.

Couple of questions... what version of james, what repositories, any
special processing, have you reviewed the log files to see where the
delays are in the message processing?  I'm using 2.1.3 w/JDBC and seeing
no delays.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: reduce the 60 seconds to process mail spool

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I've noticed that it takes exactly 60 seconds for new email sent to
> James to be processed from the spool directory and put into the user's
> local folder.  I would like to reduce this to instantaneous processing
> of new email, or at least something on the order of 5-10 seconds.

It should be instantaneous.  60 seconds sounds like a timeout.  Most likely
something with your DNS server setup.

	--- Noel